• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ch19 still hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

auxscan

still active

Its still active in NYC. Around the BQE or the LIE. There are some signs (around the LIE) in nassua county that state ch 19 is monitured by the Nassua county Police.

reconrider8

ok say someone was going to get into cb right now what would be the best rig for highway use and waht would be the best antenna?

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ch 19 Still Hot?

19 cranks big time on I-95 around Daytona after 11:pM when the tourons are in the local motels sleeping. The truckers are on the move, however OTR trucker chit-chat has diminished considerably since other forms of communication other then CB are readily available, mostly it's midnight runners who have taken over the smokey report duties. All of the name brand mobile CB transceivers made now are state of the art & it's pretty much personal choice by reputation or past experience and performance or durability, same for antennas, The NDPS trooper might have been monitoring the truckers distress call on 27.185 MHz (CB CHAN.19) when this occured.

Big Rig Rollover Video | West Coast 911

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

curiousrich

To answer a question about the best for highway use, we have to know is it for car, truck, SUV, etc.
How much space to mount a radio, how complex an antenna ? How much are you willing to spend ?
New gear or used ?

Richard Colorado Springs, CO

k9rzz

Its still active in NYC. Around the BQE or the LIE. There are some signs (around the LIE) in nassua county that state ch 19 is monitured by the Nassua county Police.

I'm pretty sure that the Wisconsin State Patrol has CB's as well.

cpsTN

I am an 18 wheeler, CB er, and HAM operator. You should hear something, especially near I-24. If you're not using an external scanner antenna, the back of the scanner antenna might not work very well if you're more than 2 miles away. Take the scanner on the road with you if you can . I spoke to 3 Truckers today on CB out here in southern CO and the OK panhandle. And those southern truckers still love their CB's.
Richard Colorado Springs, CO

I took the scanner out near the house today and drove over both I-24 and TN840. This 4-lane connects three Interstates (I-24, I-40, I-65). These two bridges are very close to each other, like a quarter mile apart or so. I saw cars and trucks to beat the band below me, while scanning the 40 CB freqs and heard absolutely nothing! If I had a CB, I could just key up and see if the scanner picks up the carrier. Any ideas here? For others in this area, I was traveling south on Florence Rd. in Murfreesboro at the time.

pliquett

I run a cb everyday in my big rig and you can always find someone on the radio, you probably don't want to hear what they have to say. Most the time all you here is shut up stupid and other bs. I took my scanner on vacation to FL last spring and thought I can listen to 19 on the scanner I don't need to put my cb in the van. Unless we were stopped in traffic and I was sitting next to a trucker that was talking I couldn't pick-up anything. Check out ebay or craigslist for radios. Galaxy, Connex, General Lee and Styker are all top notch radios ranging from $125-$450. Cobra and Uniden are less money but less radio to. Also as a side note my radio has 8 bands giving me 320 channels to choose from. A lot of bigger trucking company drivers will have a "company channel" that is used to talk with fellow drivers as you pass by.

StinkyB

CB is still common in Louisville Ky, they even have a recording alerting truckers of a large curve(we call hospital curve) on I-65, it repeats every couple of minutes, warning them to slow down/load shifts. I once hooked my scanner to my CB antenna(used adaptor), and I could hear CB traffic good, but the rubber duck antenna does not work hardly at all. I use my CB mostly for traffic info, very rarely transmit, I have that Cobra 29 with the Bluetooth, works wery well for me.

REBinc

If you're in certain places it's non-stop. I don't think I'd hear 5 seconds of silence near the I-80/I-65 interchange.

As for cops monitoring ch19, I know 100% Indiana State troopers do. I hit a deer and was sitting in his car while he filed paperwork, and all the truckers going by called out smokey with a customer.

StinkyB

I don't think CB is dead, how else can you just talk with someone you don't know and get the directions to the next truck stop Ect, can't do that with a cell phone. I think CB can be a valuable tool, just wish some people were more civilized, and treat it with more respect.

K2LES

Not as much as it used to...

I have one of those Radio Shack "CB in a box" emergency radios with the transceiver, mag-mount antenna and DC plug in a plastic case you keep under your seat until you need it. Got it on eBay for $10 several years ago... works fine.

I do a lot of highway driving and once in a while I'll pull it out if I'm hopelessly stuck in a traffic jam, or weather is really bad. Usually if you ask the opposing direction what's ahead you'll get an answer and people still shout out Trooper locations. For the most part - I've found truckers to be professional, courteous and helpful - even in the 21st century.

But I watch my speed and weather reports and highway conditions, e-mail alerts, etc... - even traffic cams can be viewed on my Blackberry which makes trucker info on Ch 19 kind of redundant - and sometimes the rag chewing gets annoying when I'm listening to talk radio.

But it's good to have a backup - just in case.

ManFish

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Concerning 11 meter citizens band communications usage, owners are no longer required to be licensed, however the responsibility still applies, channel 9 was & still is designated as an emergency all-call channel to request local law enforcement for emergencies & critical motorist assist issues. When I am at some of the local law enforcement agencies that still monitor 11 meter citizens band channel 9 they allow me to man that station as I can be trusted to handle any emergencies that arise thereby freeing up the on-duty civilian telecommunicators to handle the federally licenced law enforcement channels.

Manny

k9rzz

I live in SE Wisconsin and while over by the truck stop on 94 this morning there was lots of chatter on 19. Then while driving back home the traffic was jamming up and the CB helped me decide to bail and take to the city streets and save myself a big headache. Now while listening at home during lunch, there's a few locals chatting on 19 and also the skip is coming in a bit from Texas. So while I don't always spend a lot of time on CB, there is plenty of activity around here to keep it interesting.

gvranchosbill

27mhz Skip & CH 19

Im In Northern Nevada And Skip On 27mhz Is As It Sounded Back In The 1970's (AM Hrs P.S.T.)
9 S Units Of Hetrodyne With Virginia,Ohio,Tennesee,Georgia,Carolinas,Louisiana Booming In
At Almost 10 S Units. And In Non Skip Hrs CH 19 Here South Of Reno,NV Is Quite Busy Mostly
At Night Truckers Passing Through Here From I-80 To U.S. 395 South To Los Angeles.
Im Using A TRC-432 CB Radio Base On A Tandy Corp 5/8 Wave Coliniear Base Antenna I
Bought In 1975. Just One Of Many Radios In My Mostly Scanners Setup. Just Thought I Would
Throw My Two Cents In, The Hetrodyne Brings Back Memorys Of Being 15 Again With My Friends
Who All Had CB's And Trying To Talk Over The Skip (1972 to 1977) Give Or Take.

(GVRanchosbill From South Of Carson City, Nevada)

TheJerk

It is hand-held and I will try it. I has just assumed I should be able to hear trucks from the house, not more than a 1.5 miles away straight.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

Handheld with the stock duck antenna is most likely your issue...if you have the option, swap out the duck for an actual CB antenna and coax. That made my RS handheld RX/TX much better. Mine was lucky to do more than a couple hundred feet with the stock duck.

As for the whole Ch19 thing...a lot of it has nothing to do with company restrictions. I drive crosscountry a lot, and I can tell you exactly when the airwaves quieted down...July 2008 when the fuel prices skyrocketed to $5/gallon. Most company drivers had their trucks turned down, and if you can't speed; there's no reason to have the radio on while cruising down the road for bear reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.