Challenge for Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmn4vu

Let's see if Uniden can shrink their next HP scanner to shirt pocket size. Impossible? I present as evidence the Kenwood TH-F6a tri-band transceiver -- just 2-5/16 x 3-7/16 x 1-3/16 inches, with a Li-ion battery that has nearly twice the wattage of the BCD436HP. Introduced about 15 years ago, it's hardly cutting-edge technology.

The Kenwood has two receivers that are arguably equal or superior to the Uniden, with a receiving range of 100KHz to 1300MHz. Given that the trunk tracking circuitry has to take up a lot less space than a transmitter, the reason it hasn't been done is surely more political than technical. Put another way, I'd wager that the engineers are saying, "We can do that," while the marketing and financial departments are saying, "We don't want to."

So, how about it, Uniden. Have you done any market research along these lines? (Responses to this post will give you a tiny amount for free.) For my part, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Oh, and while you're at it, consider adding Bluetooth and GPS. The additional per-unit cost will be trivial, as evidenced by $100 cell phones that have both.

de N4VU

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
This might actually get me to consider buying Uniden again. Of course, it would have to be after I saw about a year's worth of real world positive reviews and not based on their hype

royldean

Oh, and while you're at it, consider adding Bluetooth and GPS. The additional per-unit cost will be trivial, as evidenced by $100 cell phones that have both.

While I'd love to have both, keep in mind: Economies of Scale.

If Uniden can't SELL quantities rivaling the $100 cell phones, then they can't bring the cost of components down, either. Also plays into the amortization of R&D costs.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm OK with the size of the 436HP, though I can see why people would want something smaller.

Listed below are some MUST haves I want to see in the next version in the x36HP line. Unless otherwise specified, items apply to both handheld and base/mobile versions.

--Multicolor display screen, user selectable. You know, like the x96s offered.

--Integrated GPS receiver. The current BC-GPSK unit is outdated and presents a giant nest of wires and bulky connectors and adapters. Put the GPS "guts" in the scanner and utilize a small external antenna w/MCX connector (similar to the XM-style) for reception.

--A real remote head for the base/mobile unit. Whistler already did it.

--A better SD Card slot position for the handheld version.

--Also for the handheld version, an option in the menu to "permanently" disable battery charging. It's annoying having to tell my 436 every time I connect it to external power that I don't want to charge the batteries.

I didn't list Bluetooth because I remember reading here...somewhere...where UPMan stated that adding Bluetooth had been researched, but dropped due to interference issues.

wbswetnam

We'd have a shirt-pocket "scanner" already if Uniden could get the Siren app to work properly.

Chronic

Me 2

Count me in , the current scanners are way to bulky and seem cheap because they are mostly hollow inside . I would also add a included drop in charger . I carry a Yaesu vx7r not too different than the Kenwood and many times I forget that it is in my shirt pocket .

AE4VE

I don't own any uniden scanners yet so I don't know first hand, (other than research and pictures) but are the BCD436HP's really that big and bulky?
Or is this just a preference that y'all would like for a smaller scanner?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jsmn4vu

I don't own any uniden scanners yet so I don't know first hand, (other than research and pictures) but are the BCD436HP's really that big and bulky?
Or is this just a preference that y'all would like for a smaller scanner?

The latter. They're about the size of recent Motorola professional talkies, which isn't THAT big, but the ability to get one more thing off your belt and into a pocket is huge with me. After a few decades of carrying "bricks," the little Kenwood is a delight, and the BCD436 seems like a step back in time.

bearcat

Give me the nice big screen and full keypad that you can actually read. I love the form factor of the 436 I hope they never change it.

racingfan360

Right now, I'd rather trade on form factor and stick with the 436 if it meant getting some key functionality sorted for today's environment (eg more reliable DMR simplex decoding, plus NXDN). Yes smaller/lighter are often good things for many, but I'd vote function before form.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
A true pocket size scanner is going to have to make some serious compromises to form factor.

The closest you'll get to a "smaller" 436HP right now is the 325P2. You'll lose the larger screen and nationwide database though (to name a few features).

jsmn4vu

A true pocket size scanner is going to have to make some serious compromises to form factor.

The closest you'll get to a "smaller" 436HP right now is the 325P2. You'll lose the larger screen and nationwide database though (to name a few features).

Just for the sake of drill, let me argue with that ... the database fits on a SD card the size of your fingernail, and pocket-sized cell phones have a screen larger than the 436.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Just for the sake of drill, let me argue with that ... the database fits on a SD card the size of your fingernail, and pocket-sized cell phones have a screen larger than the 436.
All valid points. However, do we really want a touchscreen scanner? You'd have to go touchscreen in order to have both a keypad and large screen, but meet the shirt-pocket criteria.

A touchscreen, done right, is a marvelous thing. However, even the mighty Apple has had issues with touchscreens going bad. A scanner is going to be a lower production volume product so either the purchase price is going to be astronomical or the touchscreen is going to be horrible.

I would salivate uncontrollably at a scanner that could do what the 436 does now, incorporates the "must haves" that I listed above, and be roughly about the size of an iPhone 7. The price, however, would probably be such that Uniden would go bankrupt trying to sell it.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
All valid points. However, do we really want a touchscreen scanner? You'd have to go touchscreen in order to have both a keypad and large screen, but meet the shirt-pocket criteria.

A touchscreen, done right, is a marvelous thing. However, even the mighty Apple has had issues with touchscreens going bad. A scanner is going to be a lower production volume product so either the purchase price is going to be astronomical or the touchscreen is going to be horrible.

I would salivate uncontrollably at a scanner that could do what the 436 does now, incorporates the "must haves" that I listed above, and be roughly about the size of an iPhone 7. The price, however, would probably be such that Uniden would go bankrupt trying to sell it.

Go to your local electronics store and check out the large selection of burner phones.

Touch screen cell phones go for peanuts. $50.

Uniden could make a touch screen scanner if they really wanted to!!! Just look at the ham radio gear that already has it. (Yaesu)

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Pipe dream

I'd like to see a port added where the radio could be dropped into a docking station or cradle. The cradle could be mounted in a mobile environment allowing for permanent power hook up, permanent antenna installation and even a small audio amplifier allowing for external speaker.

On the mobile front, a radio designed for mobile installation. I envision something about the size of a Yaesu FT8800 with a detachable control head. The information provided on current models is nice but is it needed, no ? It could display system name and talk group / Alpha tag, and lock out status. Have a forward facing data port where either a laptop or a hand held key pad, similar to a DTMF mic, could be plugged in for programming purposes.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Go to your local electronics store and check out the large selection of burner phones.

Uniden could make a touch screen scanner if they really wanted to!!! Just look at the ham radio gear that already has it. (Yaesu)

It's a supply/demand issue though. How many cell phones are sold each year vs. high end hand held scanners. Uniden wouldn't be buying the screens in anywhere near the volume of the cell manufacturers, so the cost of the screens would be significantly more-add in R&D costs, and they may not sell enough to recoup their costs.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber

True, but as I and CityWide point out, cell phones are produced at a much higher volume, especially those "burner" phones. You also have to ask yourself, do you really want "burner" quality components in your scanner? Some people on this forum already contend that the 436 has done that (i.e. the plastic case).

This isn't to say that a touchscreen scanner is impossible. It's just my view that it's unlikely to make it to market, though I'd love to be proven wrong. I would just rather Uniden focus on features and functionality that are, in my opinion, are incredibly long overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.