Change coming to Middlebury (hopefully)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
It's too bad I just saw the results on WTNH.com and it looks like the voters voted down the new radio system. It looks like the count was 727 to 645. I feel bad for the police officers, it must be so frustrating for them to know that they were so close to getting a new radio system. It looks like Marcus Communications got their wish of wanting the proposal voted down.

Here is the link:
Middlebury votes for new police radios | wtnh.com connecticut

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Yeah you're right!
It is too bad for the officers who put THEIR lives on the line. But you know what? The very first time someone gets seriously hurt or killed as a result of not being able to get help or communicate with another person, THAT'S when they will take a serious look at this! Unfortunately, that's what it takes sometimes.

Manny

MarkB513

It's unbelievable how long this has been going on for...

I know the FD is using some of their new narrow high band frequencies (not to the full extent), but will the PD lose their FCC license
similar to New Fairfield's situation at some point?

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
I wonder if they could apply for some sort of grant to take the burden off of the taxpayers of having to pay the entire 2.4 million dollars. I recall that Redding received a grant which basically paid for all new dispatch equipment, radios and 2 new transmitter sites. I don't think the taxpayer in Redding had to pay anything .But then again with everything that is going on with what is happening in the government who knows.

scollier

Why don't these towns use csp system? they have troopers or constables with csp radios on the cars anyway. This is why a statewide system needs to be set up just llike every other state in the union.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Why don't these towns use csp system? they have troopers or constables with csp radios on the cars anyway. This is why a statewide system needs to be set up just llike every other state in the union.

Middlebury has thier own police department, they are not covered by resident troopers. If it was a resident trooper town, they would already be on the CSP system.

The CSP system was designed just for the state police only replacing the old 42MHz systems formally operated by CSP. CSP did not want it everyone else on thier system as they had enough communication problems of thier own at the time the sites were set up.

whsesupv

Premium Subscriber
My question would be, with budgets so tight because of the economy why wouldn't the town look into Marcus Comminications bid especially at $1M less than Motorola.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
My question would be, with budgets so tight because of the economy why wouldn't the town look into Marcus Comminications bid especially at $1M less than Motorola.

I believe his system was not given consideration because of a technicality. He did not file the paperwork in time and missed the required deadline. I guess now he gets a second chance!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.