Change my callsign; should I or shouldn't I ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1TA

I've been a ham for 40 years and I've held several calls over my lifetime starting with a WN1 call in the 1970's. Currently I am K1TA which I thought would be my last callsign. Recently my wife and I built a house in North Carolina and eventually I will move there full time.

I should be happy that I have a cool 1x2 call but lately I have been thinking about changing my call to a 1x3 call in the 4th district.

I've never gotten attached to my present call and I was wondering if I am crazy for considering letting my 1x2 go?

Has anyone else ever felt this way?

Comments.... anyone? LOL

Tom - K1TA

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello Tom:

I want to say congrats on your 40 years in the hobby (or should I call it an addiction?) and I find that your 1x2 callsign is cool, but if it's not making you happy then a change is probably the way to go. The fact that you're even thinking about it says it all - so yeah, do it.

I am newly licensed - in fact I'm getting some gear for Christmas - so I haven't transmitted a word yet, and when my call came in the first thought I had was to change to something else. But each time that I look up and see my framed license sitting on the shelf, I just get a burst of pride and tell myself to keep it as issued and enjoy it. Since I have wanted to get my license, which is about as long as you've had yours, I finally decided to take the step. Now I have it and am planning to keep it.

I don't think you're crazy for letting your 1x2 go, but I have to ask what call you want to change to?

Russell - KC1ANC

You probably have a thousand people (literally) who would gladly beat on each other for the chance at getting the 1x2 callsign you'd be giving up. I don't have a 1x2, but if I did, they'd need my death certificate to take it away.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I have had this call since early 1977 (pre-vanity) and will not give up this one up. I wouldn't remember who I am. :)

And think about all your friends who won't remember your new 1x3...

rbm

I'm with Tom (W2XQ) on this.

If you're proud of who you are, who you've been, and the friends you've made over the years, keep your call.

If you want to hide from something, change it so nobody will know who you are. ;)

Rich (K2QG)

By the way, Hi Tom(W2XQ), long time, no talk. ;)

Last edited:

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
My issued callsign was KK4LOD, but I got into this hobby largely because of my dad who passed away and had every intention on taking his callsign which was W1GNL (now mine). I don't much care either way about a callsign, beyond sentimental reasons (obviously). If you don't like your current call, then get a new one. Though a 1x2 is pretty slick.

Why can't you apply for a 1x2 vanity call?
Any extra could, but someone would have to give one up in order to get one. People stalk the lists to see if people are sick or let their licenses lapse, then swoop in. Literally. Brings out the worst in people. Same thing with the 2x1 calls. Now, his call is really, really nice on CW. Everyone in my household has a 2x3 call. It's no problem on FM, but it's not very friendly on HF, CW or voice.

KC0KM

From what I have seen 1X2 and 2X1 are rare, and very hard to find. When I was looking for a Vanity Call, I could not really find any [class A], and I liked this 2X2 that I got. From what I have seen it does sometimes bring the worst out of some people. The same cold be for the "K9" calls. I recall reading something that someone was upset that someone got a vanity, that lived out of the call district, and felt that people who live in the call [district] should get first crack at vanities.

AgentCOPP1

Well if you're not attached to it, I think that you should change it to what you want. I also think it's common courtesy to use the call number from the district you live in, but it's entirely up to you.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
A callsign, in my opinion, is personal. I've had N2MWE from the start, and I will keep it until I become an SK. Love my call

w2txb

Is there something in a "4" call sign that you want more than your current call sign? If so, then go for it. I went through this a couple of times. I was WA2DWN, but when I renewed the Advanced in 1983, I let the FCC pick my next call, (a 2x2), which turned out to be KD2DR. Several years later, I passed the Extra, and then decided to gram the call sign held by my late uncle, who got me interested in ham radio. This one, for me, is a keeper.

kc4jgc

If I had a 1x2 1 land call, I'd keep it. I'm sure you wouldn't be the only non 4 land station in the area. At one time or another in my area, almost every US call district has been represented since I've been licensed, including from exotic locales as WP4 and KH2!

The vast majority of amateurs do keep their calls when moving from one region to another.

SCPD

QRT
Easy on the ears

I think the biggest factor is are you active on HF? Are you a contester?

You may want to take a look at the available 4 land calls.
Would some of them be easier to understand during a contest?
Something like W4BLT or W4KFC.
Throwing out something unique like "Whiskey Four Kentucky Fried Chicken" is going to get that station your trying to work to come back to you, instead of the 30 others wanting him at the same time.

If you only work local VHF and UHF, I say don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.