Change Suggestion for Next BCD996XT Firmware Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

director373

When scanning trunked P25 systems, display mode '1' shows voice frequency, but only shows the form of modulation when scanning scanning conventional systems. Display mode '2' shows talkgroup when scanning trunked P25, but shows voice frequency when scanning conventional systems. It would be logical that the display mode should be such that a particular flavor would be consistent across all types of systems, to show the voice frequency, right?

SCPD

QRT
Don't forget when using display mode 3 it shows the RID, if turned on, for trunking. For conventional it show the mode.
It would be nice to have a display mode the does the voice channel and talkgroup, like the 996T.
With the same display mode show the conventional frequency and DPL PL NAC.

director373

Agree

I completely agree.

Kind of makes me think that the developers are not scanner users, which is OK, but just how in the heck can the quality assurance team let obvious shortcomings like this pass QA. Also leads me to suspect that there needs to be more beta testers who really know what to look for. $500 is a lot of money to pay for such a product, and customer expectation is that the design is well thought-out.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I disagree. Most users are more interested in talk groups for trunked systems than they are in frequencies. For most users, the frequencies fade into the distance once the trunked system is programmed and the talk groups tell you who you are actually listening to.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I disagree. Most users are more interested in talk groups for trunked systems than they are in frequencies. For most users, the frequencies fade into the distance once the trunked system is programmed and the talk groups tell you who you are actually listening to.

This +1000.

Hell, I could care less what actual frequency is being used on the system.
Give me TGID any day over frequency.
If I need to find out frequency info about the system I can use a Trunked
system decoder program like T88/Unitrunker/Pro96Com.
Marshall KE4ZNR

spooney

I think they have it set the only way it will work as a Global setting. The only way to make it work from a user setting standpoint would be to have settings on a per system level and I'm not sure if that could even be done.

hfxChris

Database Admin
This +1000.

If I need to find out frequency info about the system I can use a Trunked
system decoder program like T88/Unitrunker/Pro96Com.
Marshall KE4ZNR

You know, the line right above shows the talkgroup... :p

Anyway, the reason I like display mode 1 for trunked systems, is it shows P25 when it's receiving P25 audio, and ENC when it's receiving encrypted traffic. I mean sure my ears know the difference between digital and analog audio, but it's nice sometimes to see either the P25 or LNK displayed, so I can visually see what's happening.
Also when you're held on a talkgroup and have the volume down, the only visual way you know there's a transmission is because the voice channel changes.
I also find it very handy to see what voice channel is in use when I'm using software like Unitrunker. Besides as I said, the talkgroup is displayed on the line right above, in much larger characters, I'm not sure why you would need to see it twice.

Just my two cents - but I agree with the OP, this has bothered me as well, and I would love to see either the display modes updated so they both show the frequency, or make it a setting you can change for either conventional and trunked systems.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

You know what I think?

WE NEED MORE OPTIONS. not saying these radios lack options, just saying 50% of the fun I have with anything electronic is changing all the settings to what I like, hence the desire for more settings!

SCPD

QRT
A display mode should show both at the same time like the 996T.
Useful with a P25 simulcast system. It lets you know if you missed a transmission.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Useful with a P25 simulcast system. It lets you know if you missed a transmission.

Unless I am missing something display mode 1 (in my 396XT/996XT) shows you what you want.

2nd line has the TGID that will alternate with UID (RID).

3rd line shows the freq that the talkgroup is taking place on.

I usually keep mine on mode 3 which shows the TGID on line 2 and the UID on line 3.

Edit: This is on a mixed-mode 3600 Statewide Smartzone system (VIPER).
Only difference could be you are dealing with a pure P25 9600 system (which I am not able to test due to not being near one
at the present time). Please clarify so we can try to figure this out. Thanks! :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Strange

Strange that I said the same thing about why not use the space to show FREQ and TG on the same line like a 996T and all I got back was.....It's a different radio get over it. lol

SCPD

QRT
Unless I am missing something display mode 1 (in my 396XT/996XT) shows you what you want.

2nd line has the TGID that will alternate with UID (RID).

3rd line shows the freq that the talkgroup is taking place on.
Some what. It does show the frequency but it does on show the talkgroup ID, actual number. With display mode one when you scan a conventional system it shows the mode and not the frequency.

I have mine at display mode two so I can see the frequency on the conventional systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.