Change your start menu word!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
I saw this listed and it said it only worked on XP so i decided to try it on Win98se and sure enough it works :)

Vista and Win7 it does not work!! (as there is NO WORD on that menu)

Anyway

1) Use a hex editor and open "EXPLORER.EXE" (I have this which works well for things like this > http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker)

2) Goto "STRING TABLE" and expand it..

3) Click on # 37 and highlight 1033

(# 38 if your computer has a CLASSIC view and your using that mode)

4) Change "Start" to say whatever you want (MAKE SURE ITS WITHIN THE QUOTES) then click "COMPILE SCRIPT"

5) Click 'SAVE AS' and enter "Explorer2.exe"

Now you will have a file called "explorer2.exe" in your windows folder along with your "Explorer.exe" file.

Now you ask how to start using the new file?

I did it this way (JUST AS A TEST,I DIDNT KEEP IT THAT WAY)

1) Open task manager and "END TASK" on explorer.exe

2) Click FILE/NEW TASK and goto the windows directory and find "Explorer.exe" and rename the file to "Explorer.exe.ORIG" (original)

3) Find "Explorer2.exe" and rename it to "Explorer.exe"

4) Enter "Explorer.exe" in the field and press RETURN.. (Notice the word "Start" has changed to what you entered :D)

I changed mine to "Menu" but i didnt leave it as i was only seeing if it indeed would work on 98se here (Which it does quite nicely)

I just deleted "Explorer.exe" and renamed "Explorer.exe.ORIG" back to "Explorer.exe" when i was done :)

If anyone tries this on Vista or Win7 and gets it to work,please do share :)

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It's been a long time since I messed with anything like that, but I once created a version of DOS 6.22 that spoke entirely in ebonics, using the same techniques you just described. Good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.