Changed my mind on BC125AT purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxkatt

Maxx Katt, once upon time artist.
I live in North Atlanta and changed my mind on the BC125AT purchase. My idea was to use this for mobile operations and the RTL-SDR dongle on my laptop at home with my Discone antenna in the attic with low loss RG8 50' cable.

But then I would have to use my laptop running microsoft XP software for my home. Not a good idea to be that far back in old operating systems. It would cost me about $200 to have my tech add windows 10. Then have to learn not only the BC125AT, plus the different software for the RTL-SDR dongle after learning how to install it. UGH.

I bought a pre-owned SDS100 with the addons:

- ProVoice digital mode installed
- DMR/MotoTRBO digial mode installed
- NXDN digital mode installed
- hard leather case (new)
- 800 MHz Remtronix SMA antenna (new)
- Uniden EBC100 External bettery charger with brand new 5.4 AH Li-Io large capacity battery (new)

So now I feel that all I have to do is learn the scanner and the addons and I will be set with this new hobby both at home and mobile. I had an analog base scanners 20 years ago and things were real simple back then. But not so now with the modern scanners. But I am retired and have the time to learn.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Quite the jump from the BC125AT to the SDS100. You went from an excellent analog scanner to the cream of the crop digital scanner. Yeah, it's a learning curve but quite worth the time and effort. Put on a pot of coffee and have fun with it!

N4DJC

Wow that is a big jump, but you will be much happier with it. A BC125AT is a great analog scanner, but is better in a secondary role for rail or airband. The ease of programming, simulcast reception, and location control are well worth it.

You will still need access to a Windows PC running at least Win 7 to update the SDS100 database and potential firmware updates.

maxxkatt

Yeah, big jump. I gave up metal detecting hobby recently and sold my Equinox 800 and other MD gear. The 800 is considered the top of the line in metal detectors. Long, long learning curve from Analog metal detectors to sophisticated digital signal processors of the 800. Sale of the metal detector provided me with the new hobby funds. I need to do more work with my home based business on the computer. The scanner will be a nice companion to a boring job. I look forward to learning the SDS100. Got Windows 10 on my main computer.

About 7 years ago I had a Yaesu FRG-770 SW receiver with two long wire antennas out back. Man I loved that radio, sorry I sold it. It had the additional memory module on the back.

One of the best learning tools for metal detecting and scanner hobbies are the great forums like this forum. Makes the learning curve much, much shorter and of course I don't want to leave out Youtube. Many years ago you had to rely on friends in the hobby or magazines.

maxxkatt

I recently purchased an SDS scanner too.

Takes time to learn the new concepts.

Here is the "Easier to Read" manual to use as a reference.

Enjoy!

Thanks Doc! The SDS100 looks like there is a lot to learn. From this forum advice I got a discone antenna for my attic plus low loss 50 foot cable. That should be a decent setup for North Atanta where the terrain is mostly flat to the south, east and west of us. Gets hilly about 60 miles north.

maxxkatt

Wow that is a big jump, but you will be much happier with it. A BC125AT is a great analog scanner, but is better in a secondary role for rail or airband. The ease of programming, simulcast reception, and location control are well worth it.

You will still need access to a Windows PC running at least Win 7 to update the SDS100 database and potential firmware updates.
I am thinking about keeping the BC125AT for the car. Question: what do you mean about simulcast reception, and location control? Does the SDS100 not handle those two issues or is just easier to program on the BC125aT than the SDS100?

N8IAA

I am thinking about keeping the BC125AT for the car. Question: what do you mean about simulcast reception, and location control? Does the SDS100 not handle those two issues or is just easier to program on the BC125aT than the SDS100?

There is hardly anything to monitor on the 125, except VHF air and railroads, in the Metro ATL. It is all digital P-25, including GSP and DNR.

Yes, the 125 is easier to program than the 100, but doesn't even go into the 700/800 MHz range and is completely analog. No digital, period....

maxxkatt

Then I see no need to keep the BC125AT for the SDS100 should have everything I need covered.
thanks.

N4DJC

I was posting some features of the SDS100 vs the 125. The SDS100 is able to properly decode simulcast, and it’s llocation control feature enables you to set a range for receiving sites or not based on their location. It doesnt scan those sites outside the range you set.

maxxkatt

There is hardly anything to monitor on the 125, except VHF air and railroads, in the Metro ATL. It is all digital P-25, including GSP and DNR.

Yes, the 125 is easier to program than the 100, but doesn't even go into the 700/800 MHz range and is completely analog. No digital, period....
Thanks, new to scanning. Had a Regency 100 back in the late 80's. Simple then, not so simple now. But I will learn the SDS100 and enjoy it.
john

Status
Not open for further replies.