Changes on Orange-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

I noticed all of the SD(87) units are working on the Blue-1 this morning. I wonder what the techs might be changing on Orange-1?

markclark

Premium Subscriber
DDan:

Could be. Up here in LA and Orange counties, CHP has changed several PL tones in the past couple of weeks. Dispatch has either switched to a TAC channel or the Blue during the change.

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
I heard a lot of test counts this AM on Orange. It also sounds like Blue 1 is simulcast on Lime 8

W6KRU

I also heard a looped test count on Orange-1 this afternoon using the 162.2 tone. The test counts were stating the test was on Gold and giving the call sign for the Gold. Nothing was being transmitted on the Gold. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe nothing significant and they were just using a loop that they had from previous work on the Gold.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Yep I can confirm the San Diego 87 units are still on 162.2 PL on Orange 1 as of this afternoon. Are you absolutely sure you heard "87" units with the 186.2 PL? The reason I ask is because Southern Division Gold 2 (For Santa Fe Springs, 83 units) shares this frequency and uses the Southern Division PL tone, which is 186.2 PL. On a good day, I can hear bleed over from Santa Fe Springs units on Orange 1, since I don't monitor it with tone squelch enabled. Driving up the five, by northern San Diego county I can routinely hear the Santa Fe Springs units.

Low band is notorious for "skip" propagation, and CHP has in the past received interference from as far away as Missouri highway patrol. So it's anyone's guess why they would put two offices that are only 100 miles apart on the same output frequency, because in lowband terms that's pretty close. ;)

W6KRU

No, the 87 units were on Border Blue-1 like I said. I did say that Orange-1 had a tone of 186.2 and that is explained by your post. I didn't realize Santa Fe Springs was using the same frequency so when I set Orange-1 to search for PL, I heard Gold-2.

Everything has returned to normal for a couple of days now with the 87 units back on Orange-1 with their normal 162.2 tone.

carlt

Hopefully they installed new equipment for the upgrade, as I can now hear them LOUD and clear on my 396 where I could not or barely hear them before. And yes they are still using 162.2.

W6KRU

I agree. I'm not sure what the changes were but I'm seeing an improvement in signal strength as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.