Changes To Paterson FD Radio Freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp883

:DI've noticed that I haven't been hearing Paterson FD over the last ?? days. I checked the database here, as well as the FCC database, and I see they're still licensed for 500.3875/192.8 (Dispatch) and 500.5625/192.8 (Ch.2).

I can see activity on my 780's S-meter so I put the radio in tone search mode thinking the PL might be wrong but I'm still not picking anything up. This is with an external discone antenna on the roof of my house coupled to a pre-amp. The pre-amp is necessary because of my location. Without it I hear nothing, with it I hear everything, with the recent exception of Paterson FD.

Have they switched frequencies, turned down their power, gone digital, or what? I live in Passaic County and have never had a problem hearing them in the past.

Thanking you all in advance for any help, advice, or info :D !

jmp883

Thanks....must be a technical issue on my end, most likely with the antenna...though I haven't done anything to my antenna since mounting it.

Thanks again.....

SCPD

QRT
Garrett Mtn? If you're south of the mountain I woul imagine most of the signal would be lost.

They are a liittle weak in Parsippany.

jmp883

I'm northwest of Garrett Mountain in the Pompton Lakes area. I've been listening to Paterson FD for years without a problem. The last several days (weeks??) I can only get Paterson EMS on their frequency of 502.0875/192.8. It's like Paterson FD and PD have completely disappeared from their assigned frequencies, I hear absolutely nothing on those frequencies anymore.

SCPD

QRT
I'm northwest of Garrett Mountain in the Pompton Lakes area. I've been listening to Paterson FD for years without a problem. The last several days (weeks??) I can only get Paterson EMS on their frequency of 502.0875/192.8. It's like Paterson FD and PD have completely disappeared from their assigned frequencies, I hear absolutely nothing on those frequencies anymore.

If you can try moving the scanner to another location.

jmp883

I'd try that if I was using the back-of-set antenna. I'm hooked up to a roof-mounted omni-directional discone on my old TV antenna mast so radio location shouldn't matter...especially since I never had a problem hearing them before.

Oh well....maybe they'll mysteriously reappear as mysteriously as they seem to have disappeared :D !

Highpockets

Thanks....must be a technical issue on my end, most likely with the antenna...though I haven't done anything to my antenna since mounting it.

Thanks again.....

Maybe you got water in the connector-coax up at the antenna, but that should affect everything you receive, everything else is coming in fine? A second thought, could the preamp be intermittent or not working.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
I am in Northwest Bergen County. Paterson Fire is coming in loud and clear here. I just heard them dispatch a call over 500.3875. Police on 460.3000 is also loud and clear on my 996.

jmp883

Highpockets wrote:

Maybe you got water in the connector-coax up at the antenna, but that should affect everything you receive, everything else is coming in fine? A second thought, could the preamp be intermittent or not working

Checked that...everything is dry, tight, and non-corroded. Everything else is coming in fine so that probably rules out the preamp not working, or cutting in and out. I have the PD's, FD's, and EMS of 4 northern NJ counties, 3 southern NY counties, FDNY, railroad, and Newark Airport all programmed into the scanner and I'm hearing everything else like I always have. Like I've said before, Paterson FD and PD have just disappeared. Paterson EMS, as well as everything else in the radio, is still coming in loud and clear. I have another identically programmed 780, as well as 2 895's and they're not hearing PFD/PD either, on or off the roof-mounted antenna/preamp.

What I need to do is go plug PFD into my Kenwood TM-V708A in my truck and see what I hear there.

If I don't hear them in my truck I give up.....it must be a power beyond my control or comprehension........:D

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and tips! I do appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.