• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Changing ADP(RC4) keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmason04

I support our police.
Howdy,
My organization is planning on using ADP encryption on P25 since the majority of our units incoming are flashed for ADP Software encryption. We are looking to set up a P25 trunking system as well and plan to use AES on that system. As we all know, AES is 256-bit as compared to ADP 40-bit and AES is very secure but ADP less so. How often should our ADP keys be changed? We don't currently have OTAR set up so hand rekeying is a bit time-consuming. We are planning to use AES on our new system but aren't able to use AES as of now as some of our units aren't flashed for Hardware Encryption.

David

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
You have to weigh the inconvenience of manual rekeying vs how much on an inconvenience it would be if someone figured out your key. But in reality the odds of someone figuring out your key whether you use ADP or DES-OFB or AES are pretty slim.

dmason04

I support our police.
You have to weigh the inconvenience of manual rekeying vs how much on an inconvenience it would be if someone figured out your key. But in reality the odds of someone figuring out your key whether you use ADP or DES-OFB or AES are pretty slim.

It wouldn't be a huge issue if someone found out the keys, we operate in an area where there aren't a ton of radio savvy folks who don't respect the rules of radio like stealing encryption keys (also a legal issue). All of the hams out here respect privacy and hackers could break it but without a radio, the key would essentially be useless. I'm not too worried about keys being compromised. KB2ZTX said it's been 10 years since keys were changed on his channels and if all is well there, I suppose I'll just keep the keys the way they are.

dmason04

I support our police.
Here is your answer for that since he does not want to disclose. Got this from the post he did about willing to program radios for $ for NAS

I run an organization for amateur radio as well as a side gig for programming. I don't understand why this is an issue.

dmason04

I support our police.
I had no issue disclosing the nature of this organization. Admins can close this thread as I have located the information I need.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Here is your answer for that since he does not want to disclose. Got this from the post he did about willing to program radios for $ for NAS

Yup, I was already aware of that, just wanted to hear from the horse's mouth so that others know what they're dealing with when reading his posts. o_O

dmason04

I support our police.
Yup, I was already aware of that, just wanted to hear from the horse's mouth so that others know what they're dealing with when reading his posts. o_O

There is no need to be rude here. Whatever the issue you have with me is, take it someplace else than these forums. You obviously aren't mature enough to conduct yourself in a respectful manner on any of my posts such as laughing about advertisements and being a smart-aleck on the rest of my posts. If you would like to have a private conversation with me, I am open to doing so. I one more request that this thread be closed because the posts here are not relevant to the question that was asked. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.