changing banks to listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwileyx4

My new Pro-97 is driving me nuts, Ive only had it for 3 days now and I cant do the most simple of tasks on this thing yet, with help from some guys here on this forum I have entered in some channels and for now have them in 3 seperate banks. I cant get it to change banks from the last one I DLed into the scanner. I have looked over the manual and the net and I know it should be simple , but how the heck can I just say I want to now listen to bank 1 ch3 for instance, when Im in bank 0. I cant even just move around in the current bank im in without just letting it scan and try to stop it when I get a channel. Is there just some simple "press the X key then the 1 key....to go to already setup banks and channels?

This is my first scanner and its making me feel dumb, Im a freakin Network Engineer and for the most part never have issues with "fancy" electronics but this one so far is kickin my butt ,so once again im comming to you guys to help me out. Please tell me others have had trouble getting started??

KE5BCP

Analog Man
If you want to turn on bank 3, press "3" while scanning.
To go to a certain conventional channel (IE: channel 126), press MAN 126 MAN.

Last edited:

rwileyx4

When scanning it will not leave bank 0, just scans the current bank and thats it, I have all the other banks at the top showing and not closed with a (.) If I hit any number while its scanning it will turn the bank off, I hit it again the number comes back up, but it never goes to bank 3 in the scan. I just want to know how to change banks whenever I want. Again, say Im on bank 0 ch3 and now I want to go to bank 2 ch4, is there a way to do this, I know once I get there I can hit scan and it will scan bank 2 at this point. But I cant get to bank 2, or dont know how.

The channel changing in current bank instructions you gave me did work tho, thx for that.

JRichard

If you want to change directly to a certain bank/channel, hit MAN--Channel you want (ie. Bank 2 Ch 4= 204; 2 Ch15 = 215; 3 Ch15 = 315)--MAN. That will take you to that specific channel in the bank.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Adding to JRichard's post, you can also use the \/ /\ (arrow) keys to navigate through your channels. Just make sure you are in manual mode.

Hope This Helps. :)

rwileyx4

Im still having trouble. when I do the manual 205 it will go there but just sits there it doesnt play anything, likes its waiting for another button and I figured that if your in bank 2 now if I hit scan it would scan bank 2, nope if I hit scan it goes right back to bank 0 to scan. Is there another button I have to hit? its like its not going fully to that bank and channel or something. if I take 0 out of the banks it will just say all channels locked and not scan anything. I know im driving you guys nuts now, but im not giving up I know once you mess with em a bit it has to get a lil bit easier.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
rwileyx4 said:
Im still having trouble. when I do the manual 205 it will go there but just sits there it doesnt play anything, likes its waiting for another button and I figured that if your in bank 2 now if I hit scan it would scan bank 2, nope if I hit scan it goes right back to bank 0 to scan. Is there another button I have to hit? its like its not going fully to that bank and channel or something. if I take 0 out of the banks it will just say all channels locked and not scan anything. I know im driving you guys nuts now, but im not giving up I know once you mess with em a bit it has to get a lil bit easier.
Well you have to understand that most radio transmissions are not continuous like a car's FM radio. For instance, if you try to listen to a frequency for highway maintainance, there is a possibility that one day, they won't even talk once. When you punch in the channel number directly into the keypad (ex: 214), you are "monitoring" that specific frequency, which may or may not be active at that moment. By pressing "scan", you are scanning all of the frequencies you have programmed in that bank for activity.

Hope this isn't confusing you! :)

rpowley

To futher what KCChiefs9690 explaned - If you wanted to scan just bank 2 for traffic, you would need to turn off the other banks.
Originally Posted by rwileyx4
...... if I take 0 out of the banks it will just say all channels locked and not scan anything....
What banks do you have frequencies programmed in? The scanner must have a least 1 bank open that has frequencies programmed.

dougjgray

In your example channel 205 after you press MAN then enter 205 you need to either Press MAN again or press PGM (Program) to get it to go to that channel. As far as scanning a particulier bank only you have turn that bank on with the number keys and turn all others off

rwileyx4

I think that maybe my other banks got screwed up. if I enter in say 205 its like I said nothing, like no frequency in there or anything. So maybe when I added my last bank of numbers it messed up the rest. It looks like 0 may be the only set one...would this explain some of the trouble Im having?

The reason I say this is because If I enter in 003 it will go to the bank 0 ch 3 and has the frequency in there and has sound. So I think you guys got me straightened out but my other banks are messed up. I thought I had 3 banks setup 0-2 but looks like 1 and 2 dont have anthing in there. So I was just in fact making it harder on myself to figure out.

rpowley

Just a suggestion...You might consider getting a programming cable and WIN97 . The cable is not much, especially if you can find one in a Radio Shack going out of business. The WIN97 is free to try for 30 days. It's a big help in programming and getting the most out of your scanner.

KE5BCP

Analog Man
I think he is using Win97, and that may be leading to his issue.
When you upload a file using Win97, it is for the entire scanner, not just certain banks.

rwileyx4

Thats the deal, I have cable and win97 and yes I tried to put 3 diff banks on 3 diff times....ok so I think I got it now, or alot closer than I was. No wonder it seemed so messed up....so i have to create all banks/channels at once or at least put them all on at once and I should be good to go.

rpowley

W5JSS said:
I think he is using Win97, and that may be leading to his issue.
When you upload a file using Win97, it is for the entire scanner, not just certain banks.
I think you're right...I remember a post from yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.