Changing Location on the 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Hi. Are the settings, avoids, favorites, etc in the 436 tied to the specific zipcode i have entered? In other words, if i program in a different zipcode that is hundreds of miles away, will i lose everything related to the first zipcode? Will i need to use Sentinel to save different location profiles? Thanks.

Hit_Factor

I use just one profile. Even with travel around the state.

Each of you FL should have location info for sites (trunked or analog).

Just change your zip as needed or use gps.

If you download from sentinel you won't lose the info.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As said above nothing is "lost" when you change zipcodes. When you change zipcodes, you are kind of becoming the GPS input for the scanner.

If you have NOT set Location Control to "Yes" on the applicable Favorites Lists, you won't even notice anything different. If you have set Location Control to "Yes", then the scanner will simply ignore the things for your previous location and only scan those for the new location.

And of course if you have checked Monitor Full Database in the profile, then in addition to Favorites Lists in range (location control: Yes) you will also hear the "stuff" in range and for Service Types you have enabled.

If you do location based scanning with a GPS, changing zipcodes can be a good way of testing/confirming things are working as desired without leaving the comfort of your home.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Zip code-based location control is useless while driving. You should be able to load the state HP towers and IDs into one FL and the scanner select the closest towers based on signal strength. Poll the list every five minutes and turn off a tower if there is no signal. Give the user the ability to select signal threshold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.