• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Changing pricing on G5 for 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harttony1

Premium Subscriber
I have had my G5 for 3 weeks now (bought mine though Ray’s Pagers – excellent service!). The G5 is an incredible device for P25 simulcast monitoring or scanning. It’s not a typical consumer scanning receiver, but so powerful under the hood. The programming software can be a little daunting at first (but watch the YouTube training video and you should be fine). This is a very rugged, durable, well thought out device.

Can’t wait for P25 phase2 upgrade later this year. There are also many other cool suggestions on this forum that seem feasible for Unication to consider for future design upgrades.

…..and now with the lower price (call a dealer – low to mid-$600 depending on model!), I might need to buy another one for VHF.

Thanks for everyone's detailed discussions on this forum. Very helpful to me in learning the tricks and limitations of this unit and software.

cpetraglia

This is just a guess, I think you'll see a new model before you see PII for the current models. It's just a hunch, but why the sudden drop in price? I paid $850 for mine last April. $600 is just about the same price for a Uniden or Whistler. Hope I am proven wrong.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Some beach, SOB, I just bought two more before "the sale" ended on 1/15/2017. I guess I should have waited. Oh well, I still love em over my crappy Unidens and Whistlers.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Changing Pricing On G5 For 2017?

Thank you very much for posting this. I, too, bought one last year. Sure, I would have loved to have been able to purchase at this new, lower price. Now that it is here, however, I am somewhat tempted to get my work to buy a few of these for us. We have two Uniden BCD996Ts and two Uniden BCD996XTs. As many here already know, they don't work that great on a simulcast system.

radio3353

Some beach, SOB, I just bought two more before "the sale" ended on 1/15/2017. I guess I should have waited. Oh well, I still love em over my crappy Unidens and Whistlers.

Yet your shack photo shows nothing but Uniden scanners :confused: Time for a photo update?:D

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that photo is pretty old, pre P25 simulcast. It certainly doesn't mean that I'm satisfied with the Unidens :). I had to add a bunch of yagi antennas in another room to make them work. I like the Unications so much I bought two more thinking I'd leave one at home, one at work, and one with me. I just received the latest 2, and am still working on getting them programmed. Who knows, maybe I'll buy a couple more after I sell off some of the Unidens and Whistlers.

Yet your shack photo shows nothing but Uniden scanners :confused: Time for a photo update?:D

hou30guy

Lol if u bought it within this week probably could get some partials refund if it was a dealer that sold it after the change price and didnt tell you, i got mines thursday

hou30guy

I love how small but clear and powerful the speaker is, and programming was a breeze after a couple of hrs tinkering with it lol ready for phase 2 , i heard thru the grape vine it should be about 105.00

Chronic

What exactly is this G5 ? it is advertised as a pager , but does it work like a scanner ? would someone mind enlightening me ?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
What exactly is this G5 ? it is advertised as a pager , but does it work like a scanner ? would someone mind enlightening me ?

There are plenty of threads for the Unication G4 and G5 that discuss its capabilities and other stuff.
Search the forums.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I love how small but clear and powerful the speaker is, and programming was a breeze after a couple of hrs tinkering with it lol ready for phase 2 , i heard thru the grape vine it should be about 105.00

Phase 2 upgrade will cost $105?

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I talked on the phone last week with Unication David, and he is assured me that there are no plans to add a new model, their plans are to add phase 2 to the existing models and there would be a charge for it.
I plan on selling 2 unidens and 2 whistlers when the phase 2 upgrade happens and getting a second G5 and a base charger which will work fine for all my monitoring needs, As a suggestion to posters, we might want to lay low on posts concerning new models from Unication (based on the above phone conversation) so we don't start a "speculation frenzy" on the forum. Just my humble opinion,,,,mac

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Bummer. I really hate when companies do this.
Sell a product, claim features are coming, dont mention any associated cost with a future feature, then charge for it.
Im ok with paying for it. But i want more clarity. Unit is phase 2 capable with firmware upgrade (for additional fee) All of these electronic devices have firmware dates and firmware upgrades sure. But telling me a unit is capable with an update and never mentioning a possible charge sucks.
UnicationDavid has mentioned they are working on the update. So we know its coming. But only users on the forum not associated with Unication have mentioned there is a cost for it.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I think that is a bad move for Unication to charge for Phase 2, especially for early adopters who bought before anything was said of an upgrade charge. If anything, grandfather those in and make it clear moving forward that any new G4/G5s bought will have a fee associated with an upgrade.
I love my G5, but I'm still not happy if I have to pay for Phase 2.

cpetraglia

PII has been promised a free upgrade at least back when I bought mine. This must be something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.