• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Changing pricing on G5 for 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So...TDMA functionality went from a 'no cost future firmware update, hopefully by the end of 2016', to 'a $105 upgrade, hopefully by 2nd quarter 2017', to now '$150 upgrade, maybe by 3rd quarter 2017'

Interesting, to say the least. :roll:

So...TDMA functionality went from a 'no cost future firmware update, hopefully by the end of 2016', to 'a $105 upgrade, hopefully by 2nd quarter 2017', to now '$150 upgrade, maybe by 3rd quarter 2017'

Interesting, to say the least. :roll:
And don't forget, a programming cable can be included for only $50 more. What a steal of a deal! I'm starting to sound like CNN!! .....

Jokes aside.....

New price of the unit
$650ish

Phase 2 upgrade
$150ish

Total
$800ish

So basically the same price as it was before. Technically speaking, the units have NOT been discounted. Just made to look like it was on the surface. Kind of like what JC Penney started doing recently with its pricing scheme. Which actually has negatively impacted their brand and income.

TomTN

I don't mind paying a small upgrade fee for upgraded functionality. R&D does have an associated cost. It would be really nice to get both PII and DMR added. Apparently DMR was considered in the early development as it is in the Beta programming software.

Adding these protocols would enhance the ability to monitor multiple agencies with one radio, something Motorola refuses to do. In this area well funded departments are on P25 and those with smaller budgets are on DMR.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Actually plenty of systems are still Phase 1 so for many people who DONT need Phase 2 then its a great price reduction.
I see a lot of Unication bashing going on over this Phase 2 thing and i have to admit i was a small part of it because i was under the impression it was an included upgrade.
Im still going to recommend the unit to people who need it. The way i look at it, they are a small company with a unique product. Originally targeted fire / rescue personnel who may have been using pagers on VHF systems that now find them selves with Phase 1 systems and scrambling to find a user device thats well cheaper then an APX subscriber unit.
Now a bunch of scanner people found it and its getting buzz. Cool.
Lets not forget theres a lot of back end licensing. Im guessing here but perhaps they have to license the trunking feature? The Phase 2 digital decoding needs a license. Plus they are spending time and effort re-writing software and updating the unit. So yeah i can see why we would have to pay. Maybe originally they might have said it was an upgradeable feature, to them maybe they think upgrade = $ and we see upgrade as included. I know i did.
Lets move on from being negative. Lets try to push Unication to bring the feature to us, sooner rather then later, and at the best cost they can provide to us and be happy we have a product thats still under 1K and is improving.
Whistler and Uniden have had years to produce scanners and trunking and stuff.
This is the first ive seen a device like this so perhaps Unication is also figuring out as they go.

Lets face it. Systems dont just upgrade overnight. So the professionals who are using these arent like us, demanding the Phase 2 stuff as soon as we can get it.

Anyway, im looking forward to seeing what this product will morph into over the next 6-18 months.
Maybe they can spin off a unit for us scanner people that has a modified version of software that will have a lot of the features WE scanner people want that dont necessarily translate over to the original design and use of the product.

I don't mind paying a small upgrade fee for upgraded functionality. R&D does have an associated cost.

100% agreed... For the most part, I believe most of us are OK with paying for a price for a special feature.

$50 for DMR etc like the scanner companies have done is reasonable. Now $150 for a "feature" that Unication wants to charge. That's kind of hard to accept. Especially when it's been mentioned that phase 2 would be a free upgrade in the past.

I'm not sure what Unication David position is with the company but mannnnn, they need to find a clear strategy and direction in terms of the G4/5 units. It's obvious that they are not moving these units as hoped. It's clear that the unit and software is in "beta" with the known issues of this post. Granted the company won't admit it. But it is. Start rolling out updates and fixes for the issues. Make us happy and let us help you spread the word on what a great tool this product CAN BE. The potential is there. I know for a fact that large departments monitor these forums. Therefore get it together. Heck, you have 1 future customer right here. Just fix the issues!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
When the phase II upgrade is available it will have an additional charge for licensing and royalties purposes. We at Unication have not determined the cost of this upgrade as of yet when any info concerning this is available for release i will be sure to let you know.

Gentlemen, keep in mind that David is the official Unication representative on the forums.

You should realize that anything posted by other members should be taken with a grain of salt and not be considered official.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
Mike, thanks for your attempt to slow down the adverse rhetoric of the complainers. You are a better man than me as I would have pulled the plug on many of them already.
My thoughts are simple.."if a g4/g5 does not work for you don't buy one"
I have a G5 and yesterday ordered a second one and a desk charger. I personally think they are a phenominal unit and will GLADLY pay for the upgrades to solve all of my monitoring needs.
As a side comment, when the new radio arrives, I need to find a home for 3 Whistlers, 4 Unidens, one of every known interior, exterior, and mobile antenna known to man, several hundered feet of $1 a foot highend coax,and misc. fittings, adapters, speakers. and countless hours of my time trying to get the aformentioned crap to work.

Maybe we should start a new thread for those of us that actually own a Unication radio and have found David's help invaluable........

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I think some are just excited because the G4/G5 works with simulcast and are hoping for some new/additional features. Maybe some are too excited, I don't know. Visit the Uniden or Whistler forums and you see similar posts with suggestions for features or complaints about issues. Since Unication decided to join the forums and share information here (which is admirable) then people see that as an avenue for getting their suggestions and ideas to them, much like WhistlerWendy or UPMan. That's part of the purpose of these forums - discussion about radio and monitoring devices, whether good experiences or bad.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I posted to address the Phase II upgrade rumours only.

An official Unication representative has shared what he knows. I would put more faith in that than somebody else's posts.

CanesFan95

My county is upgrading to a Phase 2 simulcast system which is already up and running, but with only a few users. NONE of the scanners work at all, not even close. I've tried a BCD436HP, TRX-2, and a PSR-800. All 3 totally crap out and you're lucky to hear a clear syllable much less a few words.

So I NEED a Phase 2 solution. I am going to WAIT until the G4 / G5 HAVE Phase II and then prolly buy one (IF the reviews are okay and there's no major bugs). But until then, I don't wanna risk it and find out later Phase II gets scrapped. And the other problem I'm grappling with right now is that evidently the G4 / G5 don't have a scan delay which is a big minus.

Status
Not open for further replies.