Changing Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teigan

Hello,
I have a Radio Shack PRO-66. When I lived in Edson, I could get the RCMP Channel "B2" It had a tone of 123.0. When I moved to Redcliff, and I tried to get their frequency I can't no I have noticed that it has a tone of 131.8. What can I do, can I change the tone on this scanner so that I can get this frequency. Any help would be great?

DX-300

According to your scanner, tones shouldn't matter as I see the Pro-66 does not have the capability of doing CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) according to this PDF manual:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc62/62185.pdf

So in this case you should hear everyone thats talking on the frequency no matter what tones their using as is the case when I listen to B7 Strathmore and B2 Cochrane both on 155.5500 using my basic Pro-42. All tones are, are a subaudible tone to prevent multiple users on the same frequency from interfering with eachother, in other words, each radio set to the same tone can recieve one another but radios set to different tones won't.

An example is if I have 2 radios and I set both to 127.3Hz when I push the PTT on one, the other will recognize the code tone and the audio will come through. On the other hand, if one is set to the above code and the other is using 131.8 for instance, neither radio will receive one another. If I have one radio set to a code and the other with no code at all, the radio with no code will hear the audio from the radio with the code, but transmissions from the radio without a code will not be heard on the radio with the code.

I hope this helped, if you have anymore questions or if you need a more technical explanation, please feel free to ask!

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
Teigan - to reinforce what DX said, tones don't matter to the PRO66. Just enter in 155.82 and you should hear them. As freddy says, they're on B6 - but because you can't enter the CTCSS code, you will also be able to hear any traffic on A2, which is also 155.82 but on 123.0 tone. Most of the time, though, these channels are geographically far enough apart that it shouldn't cause any interference. For example, A3 and A4 are both 155.79 with 123.0 on one and 131.8 on the other, but A4 is in Calgary and A3 is in Banff, over 100km away, so the odds of getting bleedover is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.