Channel Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

sony

I just lost my Channel Master antenna due to high winds. At this time is there any better performing omni-directional base antenna for all bands?
I understand the Channel Master antenna has been discontinued so now I need a replacement.

sony

hsdtech said:
The Scantenna is a very good choice.
That is basically the same antenna as the discontinued Channel Master isn't it? I know there were a few copycats but that's fine if they are still around.

hsdtech

I've never used the channel master antenna. Ijust know that the scantenna that I use is the best outdoor all band scanner antenna I have used to date. I've been scanning for 16 plus years.

RocketMan1

there is a thread on this forum somewhere where someone had made some very cheap alterations to the scantenna to strenghten it, might work for your situation.

sony

RocketMan1 said:
there is a thread on this forum somewhere where someone had made some very cheap alterations to the scantenna to strenghten it, might work for your situation.
Thanks for the info I would be very interested in finding that information. My Channel Master was purchased and installed in 1994. The next time I probably will have it on 10 foot mast instead of 30. Actually the mounting was not affected it is the antenna itself the element on top blew off the one that goes straight up and I can see where it was torn off from the jagged piece. Probably years and years of wind and then it snapped.

sony

hsdtech said:
I've never used the channel master antenna. Ijust know that the scantenna that I use is the best outdoor all band scanner antenna I have used to date. I've been scanning for 16 plus years.
Yes I'm sure it is as it is the same exact design of the Channel Master.

Bucko

I still have a 5094 CM and wish I had bought more before CM stopped making them. Yes the 5094 and ScanTenna are simular design ( vert dipole ), the CM has longer elements for low band for what I can see.

RocketMan1

sony said:
Thanks for the info I would be very interested in finding that information. My Channel Master was purchased and installed in 1994. The next time I probably will have it on 10 foot mast instead of 30. Actually the mounting was not affected it is the antenna itself the element on top blew off the one that goes straight up and I can see where it was torn off from the jagged piece. Probably years and years of wind and then it snapped.

I searched for the info for you, but could not find it. Essentially what this member did was use some fiberglass rods to strenghten the antenna elements.

LarrySC

Another note. I use several CM5094-A's at my office and at home. You can add a broken tv antenna element to the BOTTOM of the longest scantenna element if you need low-band coverage. It will be held in place by something called gravity. You would have to figure how long it must be. Simple job-a boy scout could do it. The scantenna 800 is weak but if you are in a metro area you may not notice it. If one of my CM's got damaged I would cry and go get a new one out of my storage shead. Good Luck to all.

sony

channel master base antenna

Strange thing about this is that I have 2 of these antennas and they both broke off at the same time and same piece which is the upper end verticle part of antenna. I tried out the reception with the way the antenna is now missing its top verticle piece and I still pick up traffic and signals. It is at this time difficult to tell how much reception I lost but I didn't loose all of the reception as the rest of the antenna on both of them are still intact.
I wonder how much in signals did I lose with the top verticle piece missing?

Bucko

If it broke where I think you mean it should effect your low band, I had a couple CM low band element break just above the High band & uhf elements.

Last edited:

sony

Bucko said:
If it broke where I think you mean it should effect your low band, I had a couple CM low band element break just above the High band & uhf elements.

Yes it is the one piece that is vertical that goes straight up on both channel master antennas. The mounts stood up well it was in both cases the actual antenna parts and the same part the top verticle piece. Strange. When I put up the Scantenna I will turn it in a different direction see if that helps. Antennas have been up for at least 10 years. This time I will lower one of the antennas by 5 to 10 feet so I won't need guy wire..

sony

TeRayCodA said:

Ok I just read the above info. Just how easy is this modification to the Scantenna? What are the specific instructions and materials needed?

I live in a hi wind zone and had 2 Channel Masters up there for about 12 years one is on a chiminey mount and the other a wall type mount mounted midway 15 feet high attached to 5 foot mast part to the house with another 10 foot mast into the air.

The first 15 feet of 2 masts consist of one 5 foot mast on top of a 10 foot mast cemented into the ground.
At this point there is the vertical wall mount attached to peak of roof with about 12 inches between the two brackets of wall mount. Then another 10 foot piece goes up from the wall mount on peaked roof where Antenna is located.
In both of these antennas the top vertical piece that stands straight up blew off. The mounts survived fine. It is probably culumulative over the years from very strong winds because I found one of the vertical pieces and it clearly looks like it was bent off.

Also is there much different in performance between these two antennas the Scanantenna and the now discontinued Channel Master? If any differences what would they be? Such as is the Scanantenna have better wind resistance than the Channel Master?

Maybe if I turn the antenna at a different angle this may help?

Also where is a good place to get that black sticky stuff that you can apply on the outside of stucco where cable goes in to seal it or you can use this stuff to seal in the connection between the cable and antenna. It is like a black clay sort of like gum.

Sorry for the long note here but I am trying to be as descriptive and as accurate as possible.

TeRayCodA

As for the mod for the scantenna,it is very easy.Yes,the scantenna is about the same as the channelmaster 5094.The 5094A had a 800Mhz element.
I use silicone caulk to seal where the coax enters the house.

sony

TeRayCodA said:
As for the mod for the scantenna,it is very easy.Yes,the scantenna is about the same as the channelmaster 5094.The 5094A had a 800Mhz element.
I use silicone caulk to seal where the coax enters the house.

Without knowing the number to the Channel Master how would you be able to tell if you had the 800 Mhz element?

TeRayCodA

sony said:
Without knowing the number to the Channel Master how would you be able to tell if you had the 800 Mhz element?
The 800 Mhz element is the closest to the balun connection,it will be another 3" parasitic element.
The older Channelmasters did'nt have these.It's a shame they are discontinued,those were some"hot"antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.