channel numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

elrod

Hi Guys,
I have a few questions on channel numbering on a 396xt. Say you have 5 conv. systems
with say 10 channels in each. Would you number the first sys. 1-10 and the second 11-20
and so on, or would it go 1-10 for sys. 1 and 1-10 also for the 2nd system? Also do you have to be
on the system you want to directly access? In another words if you want to access the 3rd channel
in system 2, would you go to channel 13 from any system or would you have to be on sys. 2 then go to channel 3? Also how do you directly access a certain channel any way.
Thanx for any help.
Chuck

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Have you used a Uniden DMA scanner before?
There is no channel labelled 13, or bank 1-10 etc like on the older scanners or GRE units.

There are quick keys... so system quick key #1 then inside is groups 0 - 9 then channels inside those groups. You can think of system #1 as bank one (if that makes it easier). System 2 is quick key 2 (if set up with their own system quick key).. and like the banked scanners you just hit #2 to get to it.

You can read up on it at
Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
To add the XT units allow you to program a specific "number tag" to a system or channel..
The number tags range from 0 - 999

That can help you get direct access to a system / channel (which was a problem with the older units)

Info and instructions on programming them are.
NumberTags < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

garys

Premium Subscriber
To answer your second question. No, you do not have to be within the system to go to a specific frequency or talk group.

What I did was create an Excel spread sheet with numbers from 001-999. Set the System Number Tag general area of the system then use the spread sheet to add numbers to the individual "channels". That makes it much faster and easier to do.

If you don't have Microsoft Office, you can download and install Open Office and do the same thing.

sparker1962

Premium Subscriber
Number Tags using a Trunked System

I understand how number tags work for a conv. system but how do they work in a trunked system? I have a system that I gave a number tag of "1". Inside that trunked system I use 5 different systems/sites. I have 5 groups with talkgroups inside that have individual number tags assigned to them. If I enter 1.5 Menu (system tagged #1 and talkgroup tagged #5), I get the talkgroup tagged #5 but not necessarily the site that I want to use for that talkgroup. How can I go directly to the talkgroup using the site that I want to use?
The workaround that I use is to only have one system/site in my system. It seems to me this defeats the purpose of using multiple sites in a trunked system.

I'm using a 396XT

garys

Premium Subscriber
I understand how number tags work for a conv. system but how do they work in a trunked system? I have a system that I gave a number tag of "1". Inside that trunked system I use 5 different systems/sites. I have 5 groups with talkgroups inside that have individual number tags assigned to them. If I enter 1.5 Menu (system tagged #1 and talkgroup tagged #5), I get the talkgroup tagged #5 but not necessarily the site that I want to use for that talkgroup. How can I go directly to the talkgroup using the site that I want to use?
The workaround that I use is to only have one system/site in my system. It seems to me this defeats the purpose of using multiple sites in a trunked system.

I'm using a 396XT

I don't think you can. Sites don't have anything to do with talk groups as far as the scanner is concerned. I know that if you are dealing with a large area system some talk groups won't be affiliated with some sites, but for purposes of scanning, that's not taken into consideration. If you absolutely have to affiliate a certain talk group with a certain site, then you probably have to create each site as a single site system and use only the talk groups you want to affiliate with that system.

Although I'm not sure why you need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.