• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Characteristics of a trunk NXDN system

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but....

I'm curious about a local NXDN system -- the license says it is trunked (all licenses FB8). The license says it has two sites - one with 6 frequencies and the other with one.

The single frequency site appears to carry data bursts 1-2 times every 30 seconds or so.

Beyond that, I've seen no indication of a control channel or idle indicator on any of the 6 frequencies on the other site.

I'm suspecting the single frequency site is being used for unit location data - but that's just a guess.

Does this sound like a trunked system or conventional?

Thanks.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
With DSD+ you should be able to see what the single channel is doing, the other thing to think is that could be an Icom Type D channel, it will pulse like an analog LTR but it's NXDN Trunking. They could
be trying both platforms of trunking.

My 2 cents.

EFM

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the license, funny, APCO Intl did the application. (little laugh here) but the only way to tell what
it is, if you hear control tones on one channel, like a Batwing Control Channel, then that's a Kenwood System. If you hear pulsing on ALL the channels, then it would be an Icom system Type D.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
DSD just says NXDN48.... no pulses....

okay, then you should see the system ID as well if you're listening to the control channel.
in which case, you will see a ran code of 1 meaning Site 1, DSD will also tell you what the channel
numbers are also.
IF they are running encypted, DSD will tell you that also when you listen to one of the Traffic Channels.

as an operator of the system here in Florida, I can bet they are running encrypted.

troymail

Silent Key
Nope - not encrypted.

The issue is that the license says trunked but I know the licenses aren't always correct. All indications are they are using the frequencies as conventional .. I'm just wondering if there is yet another form of a trunk system where there isn't a dedicated control channel and/or idle bursts. Other than the Site 2 frequency, I've seen no sign of any data/control and the bursts on the Site 2 frequency don't seem to match anything else I've seen up to this point.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Nope - not encrypted.

The issue is that the license says trunked but I know the licenses aren't always correct. All indications are they are using the frequencies as conventional .. I'm just wondering if there is yet another form of a trunk system where there isn't a dedicated control channel and/or idle bursts. Other than the Site 2 frequency, I've seen no sign of any data/control and the bursts on the Site 2 frequency don't seem to match anything else I've seen up to this point.
Maybe they are in transition. IDK.

Evans

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

Status
Not open for further replies.