Charelottetown Council complains about Police communications and people with scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

I came across a CBC report in regards to Charlottetown PEI police, and what they say over the radio. Apparently City Council is compaining about the communications and that people can listen with scanners. Interesting, anyhow here is the link. This article is date July 21,2008. The RCMP say they are always carefull of what they say over the radio. But anyhow.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2008/07/21/police-scanner.html

slicerwizard

Coun. Terry Bernard: “If the complainant knows they’re complaining, there may be repercussions,”

So if I know I'm calling in a complaint, there may be repercussions?

Madrien Ferris has a scanner turned on in her home 24 hours a day, every day, and she said police are usually discreet when speaking on their radios.

“I might hear an address, that there’s a party going on – a noisy party …” she said.

“I’d never hear a name of a complainant. Quite often they’ll say it’s an anonymous caller complaining about a party.”

Well dearie, that's because the caller really was being anonymous, not because the poilice were being discreet.

robsterw

Well here's a nice related story in PEI.

WAYNE THIBODEAU
The Canadian Press

August 8, 2008 at 7:41 PM EDT

CHARLOTTETOWN — A top-secret recording meant for the ears of the RCMP's highly trained tactical squad, regarding an operation related to the Beijing Olympics, landed in the hands of a Maritime web developer Friday."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080808.wmessage-leak0808/BNStory/National/#

OOPS! Ya gotta love Bell Canada.....
So much for the line in the previous CBC story -- "RCMP spokesman Denis Morin said Mounties are always careful about what is said over the air because they know people own scanners and are listening in on police calls."
So what are they gonna do about the pagers? ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.