• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Charging a Baofeng UV-5R plus from a small solar panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouK23

Am new to the forums, so would appreciate it if someone would channel this post to the correct thread until I can find my way around a little better. I purchased the UV-5R as a disaster radio for a grab and go bag. I have a folding solar panel that puts out DC 5v at 2.4 mA. The output is via a USB port. I'd like to know if there is a way to charge from this solar powered USB cable to the DC 10v input on the radio's charger base? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

K4EET

Chaplain
Am new to the forums, so would appreciate it if someone would channel this post to the correct thread until I can find my way around a little better. I purchased the UV-5R as a disaster radio for a grab and go bag. I have a folding solar panel that puts out DC 5v at 2.4 mA. The output is via a USB port. I'd like to know if there is a way to charge from this solar powered USB cable to the DC 10v input on the radio's charger base? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Radio Reference. Lots of information to be found here...

I can't answer your charging question but I am curious as to what frequency you plan to transmit on with your go-bag radio? Thanks!

Regards, Dave, K4EET

Last edited:

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL

I can think of at least two reasons why this wouldn't work and/or shouldn't be attempted...

*** The Baofeng (and most newer radios) are using lithium-Ion batteries. While these batteries have a much higher energy density that the older NiCad or NiMh types, they can be dangerous and should never be charged with anything other than purpose-built equipment. There must be a specialized circuit to prevent overcharging or the battery could explode or catch fire.

*** The 5v output of the solar panel is inadequate to charge a nominal 7-8 volt battery. And even if the voltage was adequate, it might take forever to charge a 1800mA-capacity battery at a rate of 2.4mA.

Be safe!

John AC4JK

LouK23

Bought it to be able to monitor emergency channels in the event of earthquake here in California. No plans to transmit except in emergency. We sailed for 5 years back about 30 years ago and monitored the HAM boater nets in the morning to help us as we traveled. Intend to me my Technician's ticket and then I can start thinking about where I might transmit.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can think of at least two reasons why this wouldn't work and/or shouldn't be attempted...

*** The Baofeng (and most newer radios) are using lithium-Ion batteries. While these batteries have a much higher energy density that the older NiCad or NiMh types, they can be dangerous and should never be charged with anything other than purpose-built equipment. There must be a specialized circuit to prevent overcharging or the battery could explode or catch fire.

*** The 5v output of the solar panel is inadequate to charge a nominal 7-8 volt battery. And even if the voltage was adequate, it might take forever to charge a 1800mA-capacity battery at a rate of 2.4mA.

Be safe!

John AC4JK
Granted, anything more than 5vdc is unlikely but most of the small solar panels on the market have no problem charging lithium ion batteries, as that's what are in many of our newer smart phones. I've done it with mine, fully charged in about 4 hours. :wink: 73, n9zas

cmdrwill

Baofeng UV-5R charger needs 9 volts DC.... Double check the wall wort that came with the charger to be dammed sure. The little chip that controls the Li battery charge does not like over voltage.

PACNWDude

With my Baofeng radios, I just make sure to have the car charger available. Having a working car in an emergency is usually possible, and makes it easy to charge many devices. Having an inverter for AC items is helpful too.

Comp-100

... I have a folding solar panel that puts out DC 5v at 2.4 mA. ....

Hi,

Check the specs again on that panel you have 2.4mA is not enough current for anything really so I suspect you made a typo or the specs have a typo in them.

As someone else suggested see if you can maybe get the output of the panel before it is fed to the 5V regulator for the USB connector.

Those are good little radios, and the batteries are good so I would just make sure maybe that you carry an extra battery, maybe an extended battery if you really think that in an emergency you might run down a complete battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.