BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Charging BCD436HP Batteries in Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

opdave2001

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I just purchased this scanner and expecting delivery today. I'm Getting back into scanning after a hiatus since the early 2000s. All the terminology seems foreign to me on this new scanner. My question: Other than the downtime while charging is there any downside to charging the batteries while in the scanner? Thanks.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Most people prefer not do to so. Charging batteries on the BCD43HP is based on time, not on the voltage remaining/capacity of the batteries. This could lead to over charging. Better off getting a external charger for the batteries.

opdave2001

Premium Subscriber
While I wait for the batteries and charger do the included batteries come charged? If partially how do I determine how much?

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber

opdave2001

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully one final question. Until I have rechargeable batteries and a charger would it be better to charge the included batteries in the scanner or install regular non-rechargeable batteries in order to get started?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Avoid using the factory internal charging function on the 436. It runs on a timer, rather than making any attempt to monitor the charge state of the batteries.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully one final question. Until I have rechargeable batteries and a charger would it be better to charge the included batteries in the scanner or install regular non-rechargeable batteries in order to get started?
Jonwienike has a internal mod that charges the battery correctly. He installed it in my 436 about three years ago, still works great as well as the internal GPS mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.