TRX-1: Charging question/problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

artee99

I'm a new owner of TRX-1. Few weeks of testing show that there's an issue (or it just works that way) with charging battery inside the scanner. I've measured charging current of inner TRX-1 chrger and it shows.....43mA only. So, for genuine 2600mAh battery it would take 85!!! hours to full charge...
So my question is it normal or something is wrong with my TRX-1. Does anyone else measure charge current for own unit??
I knoe that i can charge battery outside with quick charger but it is uncomfortable and i loose time and date settings every time i remove battery.
Is something wrong with my scanner or is it just normal work mode for that model?

troymail

Silent Key
I'm a new owner of TRX-1. Few weeks of testing show that there's an issue (or it just works that way) with charging battery inside the scanner. I've measured charging current of inner TRX-1 chrger and it shows.....43mA only. So, for genuine 2600mAh battery it would take 85!!! hours to full charge...
So my question is it normal or something is wrong with my TRX-1. Does anyone else measure charge current for own unit??
I knoe that i can charge battery outside with quick charger but it is uncomfortable and i loose time and date settings every time i remove battery.
Is something wrong with my scanner or is it just normal work mode for that model?

Most of us charge batteries outside the radios for various reasons. This has been discussed for many years.

I believe the internal charging of the TRX-1 is intentionally slow (trickle) to avoid overcharging and it isn't designed for full or rapid charging. Rapid charging and heat from that charging can damage the radio.

So, no, I don't think it's a defect in your radio.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Get another set of batteries and ALWAYS charge batteries outside the scanner. Internal charging circuits in scanners charge for a period of time, whether the batteries need charge or not.

artee99

Ok. So if current is only 43mA which gives a stand by charge type with no possibility of overcharging what CHARGE TIME menu is for??

SOFA_KING

Are you sure it read 0.043 (43 ma)? The reason I ask is that I just tested current draw on a PSR-800 that I was preparing for sale with rechargeable batteries in it. I wanted to preset the charge time for the buyer. I calculated 7 to 8 hours would be about right. I always used an external charger on my scanner batteries, but since then obtained an in-line USB volt and current measuring device. Mine showed about 430 ~ 450 ma (0.430 ~ 0.450) on charge, and about 40 ma after the preset charge time elapsed (that's the trickle charge). Unfortunately, every time you turn off the scanner it starts charging again even though the batteries were fully charged. That is BAD for batteries. All these scanners would do us better service by allowing us to easily invoke a charge cycle when we are ready for it. Just some simple way to toggle it on without going through all the menus and saving options would be better.

No experience with the TRX-1 (yet), so maybe it's totally different.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.