Charles County UID List Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing these are most appropriate to fit into the CC Wiki page, but I wanted some minor clarification. Only non-identifiable UIDs can go public, right? I.e., if I know of units such as "Adam 455" or "Traffic Ops 216", those can be made public, but not if I ever hear "John Doe" on a particular UID. Which I don't -- Charles is really good about only using identifiers for all their transmissions.

If this reasoning is correct, how might this apply to MD State Troopers? They use their handle as well (i.e., H-10), but unlike the sheriffs, they actually have that ID stamped on their cruiser's license plate (whereas I believe only the number is on a sheriff's vehicle, not the "Adam" or "Paul" designators). That makes it somewhat more identifiable I'd think.

And how might this apply to out-of-region IDs? I.e., I picked up Dahlgren Ambulance 288 on Charles' FE channels earlier and recorded their UID down. I assume their UID will be different on another trunked system, so is it appropriate to list them in CC's wiki as they would appear on CC's trunked system?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm guessing these are most appropriate to fit into the CC Wiki page, but I wanted some minor clarification. Only non-identifiable UIDs can go public, right? I.e., if I know of units such as "Adam 455" or "Traffic Ops 216", those can be made public, but not if I ever hear "John Doe" on a particular UID. Which I don't -- Charles is really good about only using identifiers for all their transmissions.

If this reasoning is correct, how might this apply to MD State Troopers? They use their handle as well (i.e., H-10), but unlike the sheriffs, they actually have that ID stamped on their cruiser's license plate (whereas I believe only the number is on a sheriff's vehicle, not the "Adam" or "Paul" designators). That makes it somewhat more identifiable I'd think.

And how might this apply to out-of-region IDs? I.e., I picked up Dahlgren Ambulance 288 on Charles' FE channels earlier and recorded their UID down. I assume their UID will be different on another trunked system, so is it appropriate to list them in CC's wiki as they would appear on CC's trunked system?

A couple of observations here -

a. As you guessed, never list an individual's name associated with any ID; not only is this a potential liability to us (if someone wants to get into a snit about Personally Identifiable Information (PII) issues, it gives them ammunition - better to err on the side of caution), I think it quite likely that if person a was heard on UID one, then gets a new radio, who knows if that UID would move with him?

b. If it were me, I'd note it on both the Dahlgren page (if there is one) and the Charles one about who it really belongs to. 73 Mike

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
A couple of observations here -

a. As you guessed, never list an individual's name associated with any ID; not only is this a potential liability to us (if someone wants to get into a snit about Personally Identifiable Information (PII) issues, it gives them ammunition - better to err on the side of caution), I think it quite likely that if person a was heard on UID one, then gets a new radio, who knows if that UID would move with him?

b. If it were me, I'd note it on both the Dahlgren page (if there is one) and the Charles one about who it really belongs to. 73 Mike

I've picked up where an MSP unit changed radios, and the UIDs switched to another MSP unit, so the UIDs don't seem to follow as far as I can observe.

PII, I'm well versed on, hence the inquiry if the callsigns were listable information or not, especially for MSP since their cruiser tags carry that info (and since MSP officers can sometimes take their cruisers home with them, this would create a link from work --> personal life).

Other than that, when I find the time, I'll probably draft up a list for the Fire/EMS units. Dahlgren is tricky...They have both an LTR system using voice inversion that is active, and their P25 system shared amongst all of NSWC/Naval Yard, so I'm not certain where their UID info best fits. For simplicity, I might just list it on Charles only, as I'm guessing their Radio's UID might only exist in Charles' system. Of note, their UID is only ~6 digits off from a PG Engine Company's radio ID on Charles' system, too, hence why I think it's specific to Charles. Possible that's a range of UIDs Charles uses for out-of-region radios for PG/Dahlgren. St. Mary's is in a slightly different number group. Unsure about Calvert, Prince William, King George, or Fairfax MA UIDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.