Charleston/Berkeley and Dorchester/Colleton SCHP channels question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCScanner61

Is the Charleston/Berkeley and Dorchester/Colleton Counties patrolled by the South Carolina Highway Patrol worth listening to? The ID's are 29712 and 29968. I've listened to them for a while before and they seemed pretty much dead. Anyone have any good experiences hearing any excitement on these ID's?
What's the most or a few of the most interesting things you've heard?

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Is the Charleston/Berkeley and Dorchester/Colleton Counties patrolled by the South Carolina Highway Patrol worth listening to? The ID's are 29712 and 29968. I've listened to them for a while before and they seemed pretty much dead. Anyone have any good experiences hearing any excitement on these ID's?
What's the most or a few of the most interesting things you've heard?

depends what you like to listen, I almost ALWAYS consider SCHP boring and the last thing i want to listen to, traffic stop, traffic stop, accident, disabled motorist...boring, lol, but you may get a chase from time to time but with the current economy along with liability the chase will most likely be called off by the supervisor if they go over the speed limit or if it goes over 5 minutes, so chases rarely exist unless they have true charges on the susp now...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I can't speak for the lower part of the state, but I usually keep Spartanburg County's SCHP talkgroup, as well as DPS 3 (SHEP in the upstate) in my scanlist.

Agreed, most of the time it's not very interesting. During major interstate incidents, I enjoy listening to the efforts to coordinate an accident scene and deal with traffic back-ups. Even though SHEP and HP can technically talk with each other directly, it doens't happen often, thus burdening their dispatchers to talk with the TMC (traffic management center) that monitors all the interstate cameras, radar, and "incident responders" (which is what SHEP is called now).

I'm sometimes amused by the obvious disdain most troopers have for "maintenance", the term the use up here for SCDOT folks.

I also like the way they use the term "so far" as a liguistic delay. As in, they're trying to pass along some lengthy information to the dispatcher, and they'll need a little time or a break in the transmission for whatever reason, and they'll say "so far?" and the dispatcher will acknowedge it. I'm guessing this is an old habit from the low band days when they weren't necessarily assured that the dispatcher could hear their transmission and they didn't want to have to repeat a lengthy transmission. Clearly the newer troopers have picked that up from the veterans.

They'll also run LIDAR enforcement on the interstates from time to time. On Saturday after Thanksgiving, just a few days ago, I was travelling north on I-85 in Anderson County and heard them calling out car descriptions and speeds on their TAC 5 channel, and then heard traffic stops around the 37MM. I knew well ahead of time to slow down in that stretch of road. Some of the speeds they report are extreme.

YMMV.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
When I lived in Charleston, the SCHP was pretty exciting since nearly half of the folks they tried to stop would run faster than a car thief in LA! SHEP, and SCHP interopped during inclement weather which was pretty cool then too. Sometimes youd hear SLED on SCHP TG's, but that was rare. Back then I-26 from COLA down to Chucktown was considered the most dangerous section of highway in the USA! I heard a wild chase that started in Charleston with CPD that went all over downtown, then they hit 26, and SCHP and CCSO got in on it too. They ran to 526, then all the way over to Mt. P before they got PIT'ed by an SCHP trooper.

INDY72

2000, 2001, 2002 were the years I lived there. Back when the mother of all bridges was being built over the tops of the old Cooper River Bridges. If I remember right it was about a month before 9/11 when I was living on Folly Beach, before I moved to N Charleston. I was working at Hyman's Seafood on Meeting. Back then it seemed like every other person that CCSO, or SHCP tried to pull over wanted to run. The Palmetto 800, old Charleston County TRS, and City TRS's used to stay pretty busy. I hope to one day get to visit again and check out the Palmetto 25. The funniest things to hear on the old County TRS and City TRS were the interopping between FBPS, CPD, CCSO, and sometimes USCG on harbor incidents.

Does CPD still use half ten codes? Instead of saying 10-23 they would only say 23.... And do they still have three primary tg's and four during the summer? And no never was a SNOB, or an SOB.. lol...

Last edited by a moderator:

SCScanner61

Thanks for the information. No, they got rid of the codes they used in November 2006 when the new Police Chief came on board (Greenberg retired). They now use plain language and the rest of the area is following, with Mt. Pleasant being the only exception in Charleston County. Regarding the talkgroups, ever since I've been listening, they have the same year round. Ch.1 is the downtown channel, Ch.2 is the records channel, Ch.3 is the West Ashley/James/Johns/Daniels' Island channel. They also have a bunch of talk channels (Meeting A,B,C,D,E, along with Event channels for special events, long cop to cop conversations, etc...) It's still AWESOME to listen to, despite it seeming even better when you lived here. I keep my CPD scanner on at all times and have only heard 2 CPD chases but have heard TONS with County, North Charleston, and one with Mt. Pleasant. Highway Patrol, for the most part of the times I've listened, is very boring with the wrecks, disabled cars, etc.... I have heard though from the municipal PD's like CPD and NCPD of Officers being dispatched to assist Troopers with troubling situations. Of course, by the time I switch my scanner to SCHP's channel, everythings under control, which is good for the Trooper. I can't complain though. Their safety is the ULTIMATE priority, before my listening excitement. Thanks again for your reply.

marke241

I find that those channels are pretty busy. But just remember that the primary duty of the SCHP is traffic enforcement. Therefore most radio traffic is going to be traffic stops and traffic accidents. You may hear a rare vehicle pursuit.

INDY72

Primary duty of SCHP is the safety and well being of motorists on the highways of the state. This includes traffic enforcement, first responder duties, weather observations, and various other law enforcement duties etc. The majority of ANY state highway patrol agency comms will be traffic enforcement and accident assistance/investigations. When an municipality/county needs assists, then youll hear them roll on that, and vice versa. Now during major events like hurricanes, snow/ice storms etc..., you will hear a lot more "excitement" . Now here in Arkansas where I live now, the State Police do a lot more all around law enforcement than other states where the duties are divided amongst multiple agencies. For example in SC, narcotics and investigations are handled by SLED, in MS you have MBN, and MBI. Here you have the ASP-CID, ASP-Narcotics, ASP-CACD etc....

hntsgt

Once in a while the talkgroups from Chas/Berkeley/Dorchester will come up on the Georgetown tower. When that occurs, I can actually get the SCHP from there, Gtown/Williamsburg, Florence/Marion/Dillon, Darlington/Marlboro, and Horry. I think it is pretty remarkable that you can monitor that much of the state. Like everyone else has noted, it is not very exciting most of the time, but I do enjoy getting info on the bad wrecks and BOLO's from the other agencies. In combination with the online CAD, I can pretty much keep up with anything good.

I programmed in the Charleston County P25 towers and haven't heard anything from Pawleys. Hopefully, next time I travel south of Georgetown I can get the McClellanville tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.