Charleston city PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

10-23

I had my scanner programmed for the Project P25 for the Charleston area at the electronics store where I purchased the scanner. However; I get more of Berkeley County and less, very little from where I live in Charleston City. I really want mainly Charleston city and Charleston County PDs, and Fire, I just don't hear anything for the Charleston City PD at all?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Charleston PD radio traffic is carried on the Palmetto P25 system. Dispatch talkgroups are 2010 for Penninsula and 2011 for West Ashley. This is the same system that all Charleston County agencies use - Charleston Co FDs, SD, P&R etc.

Here's the RR database page that contains all the information you need: Palmetto (P25) Trunking System, Various, South Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

It's worth noting that there are several transmitter sites in Charleston for the Palmetto P25 system. Make sure you program site #1 the Charleston Simulcast site. It's the one that will absolutely carry the traffic you're interested in hearing.

It's also worth noting that this is a P25 simulcast system which is very difficult for consumer-grade scanners to monitor. It's a well documented problem. You may not be hearing much from your location because of this issue. Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

You will have to either send your radio back to whoever programmed it originally with this information or learn how to program scanner yourself and verify if the information is programmed properly and completely. If not, you'll have to add to or modify the original programming.

10-23

Charleston PD radio traffic is carried on the Palmetto P25 system. Dispatch talkgroups are 2010 for Penninsula and 2011 for West Ashley. This is the same system that all Charleston County agencies use - Charleston Co FDs, SD, P&R etc.

Here's the RR database page that contains all the information you need: Palmetto (P25) Trunking System, Various, South Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

It's worth noting that there are several transmitter sites in Charleston for the Palmetto P25 system. Make sure you program site #1 the Charleston Simulcast site. It's the one that will absolutely carry the traffic you're interested in hearing.

It's also worth noting that this is a P25 simulcast system which is very difficult for consumer-grade scanners to monitor. It's a well documented problem. You may not be hearing much from your location because of this issue. Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

You will have to either send your radio back to whoever programmed it originally with this information or learn how to program scanner yourself and verify if the information is programmed properly and completely. If not, you'll have to add to or modify the original programming.

Thanks Brian. I will look for that Chareston site #1 simulcast. I have yet to hear anything in my local area. I will try to research what you explained. I hope I can find site #1. Right now, I don't know if this scanner is worth keeping.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
In the first link I posted, scroll down to the section labeled System Frequencies. The Charleston Simulcast site is the first site listed. Confirm that the blue and red frequencies (4 total) are programmed for the Palmetto P25 system.

If I was closer I'd offer to help more. Perhaps there is someone in the Charleston area that will chime in.

10-23

In the first link I posted, scroll down to the section labeled System Frequencies. The Charleston Simulcast site is the first site listed. Confirm that the blue and red frequencies (4 total) are programmed for the Palmetto P25 system.

If I was closer I'd offer to help more. Perhaps there is someone in the Charleston area that will chime in.

Thanks Brian, I will check that. I see two frequencies with a letter at the end (a) and (c). How do I type in letters for text when programming??

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
You don't type type the letters, just the numbers for the frequency.

Those letters indicate the primary and alternate control channels for the site. These are the frequencies that need to be programmed into the trunked system in your scanner because these carry the data that the trunked systems uses to operate. They're the ones that your scanner uses to "track" the system. The scanner can figure out all of the voice channels based on the information on the control channel, so it's not necessary to program the other (black, not red or blue) channels.

10-23

You don't type type the letters, just the numbers for the frequency.

Those letters indicate the primary and alternate control channels for the site. These are the frequencies that need to be programmed into the trunked system in your scanner because these carry the data that the trunked systems uses to operate. They're the ones that your scanner uses to "track" the system. The scanner can figure out all of the voice channels based on the information on the control channel, so it's not necessary to program the other (black, not red or blue) channels.

Thanks Brian,
I tried to program those, and now have boxed the scanner back up, only had it one week, and will likely return it. The frustration, and lack of hearing local calls to me is not worth it. I will explain more in a private message.

Angiefox

Can anyone help me program a radio shack pro 94 a. dual trunking scanner for galveston county tx ive put every freq.I can find in and get nothing.but on a RadioReferance site gey it clear.Now my scanner picks up some fire and air.weather and marine.But no police.HELP.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
You probably would have better luck posting this in the Texas forum instead of South Carolina.

Click the red ! at the right of the post and request it to be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.