Charleston City Radio Traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenwar

Anyone monitoring thte Charleston City system, Database ID 7337 out there? Strange, but as of this past Monday, radio traffic is extremely light as in almost non-existant. This system is normally so busy that you never hear a break in traffic for more than 30 seconds. All of a sudden, there is now hardly any traffic at all. I don't have a signal stalker type radio, but I have been listening to the County's systems and the Palmetto 800, but it's almost like the City has hidden themselves. Anyone else notice this? I haven't changed anything in my Pro-96 in months....

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Could it be they switched over to the county's all P25 TRS? I don't live in that area but would be interested to know.

greenwar

Re: Charleston City

Nope... I searched there last night. Interestingly, I don't see the City ever moving there in the near future as the Chief of Police for the City doesn't want to use ANY of the same systems as the County. It's a power struggle thing I think. Anyway, like I posted, they haven't just gone off the air, they "SEEM" to have relocated most of their traffic, or they decided to have a few days of radio silence. I can see part of their point in that local news agencies are always listening in and having someone show up on the scene of every major arrest with camera in hand. Sad that they ruin things for the rest of us....

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Check to see if you have the active control channel in your radio. Scroll through them in Manual mode and make sure you hear the typical control channel noise on one of them. Doubtful, but maybe they rebanded ahead of time?

greenwar

Yes... I thought through that one too. I do have all channels programmed, including 4 control channels, and one of the four is definately active. As I posted above, the communication isn't totally dead. I do hear an occassional communication between units, and minor communication back to control, but the volume of traffic is likely down by 80%. Thanks for the suggestion as I have had an issue before with NO communication and I actually had the active control channel's frequency wrong.

greenwar

Palmetto, if you are checking in these days, I left you a PM. I would value your input on this one esp. since you have seen the City through the past few years. Maybe it's just user error, but the weekend will certainly tell.

bpalmer

Sometimes it is as simple as a lock out on a Control Channel or attenuator on. But you never know for sure what they do with their systems.

Roben Greenburg (former police chief) told me he set the system up because it would be cheaper then being with the county.

greenwar

Well, I'm not sure what these guys were doing, but it seems to have been some system maintenance. As of last night, the system is running full speed. Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions. I have had problems with programming/radio issues before, but I was sure that wasn't the case with this time. All I have done with the Pro-96 is to have turned it off and back on thus rebooting a few times. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.