Charleston county ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew7262

Premium Subscriber
is the South Carolina Port Authority system still in use, I live right across the river from the wando terminal, but the radioreference pages flags it as not in use or replaced by another system. Does anyone still hear any traffic on this system?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
The EDACS system you linked to is indeed no longer active, however the frequencies attributed to it are still active.

The callsign WPLU704 is still licensed to the SC Ports Authority, and that callsign is also associated with the Palmetto TRBO system site #5 in Mt Pleasant. It's a DMR system.

When I was in the area back in December 2021, I verified that this site was active, but I didn't listen to it long enough to verify that this site carried radio traffic specifically related to the Port Authority. But that's where I would start.

Also, there are some active talkgroups on the Charleston County section of the Palmetto 800 system (site 1-10, primarily) that carry some Port Ops. They're attributed to the SC Port Authority Police Dept. According to the database, they're in the clear (not encrypted) and I seem to recall that being the case when I was there in December.

I would also suspect that there are conventional frequencies in use (probably simplex, non-repeated) for port operations. If you're close, then you'll probably hear some of it. I'd focus on the marine channels (for communicating with ships entering and exiting the port) as well as UHF common business channels ("DOT" and "STAR").

Let us know what you figure out.

mrat1234

The SC ports authority uses 800mhz conventional frequencies for their 2 inland ports (Greer and Dillon) but as for Charleston I'm not sure. The 2 inland port frequencies can be found under other SC government agencies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
PAPD is one of the very few non encrypted LEA's on the Charleston County cell of the Palmetto 800, as well as PA Maint Ops. The Port Ops are on the new MotoTRBO system, and conventional .

Status
Not open for further replies.