Charleston visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am visting Charleston area for the week and brought an older scanner (bearcat 200XLT) and HT (2 metter/440). Can anyone suggest a few active freqs. to monitor? My son is with us (teen age) and I figure to probably spend most days at the beach but woukd also like ideas on activities, if possible. Thank you and 73's.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
All public safety excluding DNR, and CofC use the 800 MHz trunking systems.... *Charleston City, Charleston County, and the Palmeto 800* The only things not trunked besides HAM is Railroads, Cabs, Maritime, and Aviation. As far as activities, check out the many tours, walking, carriage, and boat. You can also check out Fort Sumter, and dining... well there is a plethera of dining experiences all over the greater Charleston area.... Some of it is rather on the steep side moneywise, but many are affordable... Check out Hyman's on Meeting Street... long wait at times, but good meals!

Last edited by a moderator:

qball

Premium Subscriber
Where to go in Charleston.....

There is a 2meter machine on the USS Yorktown....146.94, 147.30 in Awendaw, 147.27, somewhere in the Triad.

Gilligan's also has great seafood as well as Andolini's (17 south West Ashley or Mt Pleasant) for pizza. There is also the Rosebank Cafe in the Bohicket Marina on John's Island. Kickin' Chicken on King St or James Island has some good sandwiches.

I would go to the Market on just off of Meeting Street and check out all of the shopping opportunities on King Street. It's also nice to take a walk on the Battery and at Waterfront Park in the evenings.

codyshell

best vacation ive had ever. the noisy oyster on meeting st. is a good place to eat. and for the carriage tours, do the one in the red barn. great tour.

cody

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I recommend Sette in Mt Pleasant. Hyman's was ok for lunch, but I'll have to try it again if I ever go back.

CLB

Sette is awesome. Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's is good too.

GO TO THE YORKTOWN. You won't regret it, but be prepared to spend at least 1/2 the day there.

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate. Too many places to eat but that is good.

Any freqs. to pick up marine? I have been trying the normal marine freqs, but have heard nothing as yet

Best regards.

PS Jeff...I do not have a 396.

INDY72

Nationwide Calling is busy as that is initial contact with Charleston Marina.. they then direct them to other freqs for ops... Also USCG is busy this time of year with rescues, and with practice ops all over the LOWcountry!

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> PS Jeff...I do not have a 396.

Sorry ... for some reason, I was thinking that you had posted about that scanner on one of the forums.

A couple of things to do in Charleston:

- the S.C. Aquarium ... at the waterfront

- Magnolia Plantation and Gardens ... historic home on Hwy 61 near Drayton (less than 1/2 hour from Charleston, with Audubon Bird / Wildlife area. Great place to see alligators and other swamp inhabitants up-close (but not to close!)

- Evening walks with the Mrs. through the historic area and the waterfront, especially after a large meal

I'd also suggest the carriage ride / tour. Each carriage is assigned, at random, one of four sections of the tour area. We've done three of the four sections, and each has been enjoyable.

Jeff Multer

INDY72

Charlestown Landing.. See how it used to be.. See da Gators, da boids, and da deer, wildcats... and da ship .... :)

INDY72

LOL... Not that far back.. but if the gator be on da ship I'd be in da creek!

Sette was execellent, as was Mustard Seed on John's Island and Blvd Dinner in Mt Pleasant. All of these plus 4 more are owned by same owner. Been to Mustard Seed b4. Great food at reasonable prices. Radio reception was very poor with scanner, CB and HT. Food and beach made up for it. Bought an old Regency scanner at a used store for $10 that picks up areo only. Will be useful when back at Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.