Charlotte Mecklenburg PD Encrypted TG's Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
At least in the my local district, CMPD is on encrypted TAC talk group instead of Dispatch. Guessing related to release of a video today.

Last edited:

nwalshjr

Premium Subscriber
Yup, North Division, HPD, and DPD just switched over. North switched to their TAC talk group (encrypted) and HPD/DPD switched to CMPD-1 (encrypted).

Soundman

Why are thy encrypting the North end . Nothing happen up hear . What videos are thy posting and why are thy posting them . I just got a sds200 . I am hopping this is not for good this time .

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Video is a gentleman who apparently died while in custody of CMPD. local news sites can help you with this question. I’m assuming all CMPD districts are using encrypted TG’s currently.

skelzer

Premium Subscriber
Any chance someone can help paint the roadmap here? What are the guidelines for this change? Is there any pressure or requirement for CMPD to return to unencrypted channels.... or have we lost these channels forever?

(SDS100 is only a week old... was just getting into the fun!)

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Last time they returned to normal dispatch channels after a few weeks as I recall, Lots of speculation about reaction to upcoming national election, so there's that. This change happened on October 1 which may be significant or not. New fiscal year. I'm hoping they return to normal dispatch talkgroups for routine radio traffic soon.

skelzer

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense and good to know they eventually returned to unencrypted channels... but ironic that is was the speculation that pushed me over the line with this pricey purchase. Guess we'll have to wait a few months for the dust to settle....

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Conference channels could give you some information.. The main issue is once again missing out on Huntersville and Davidson (Davidson seems to be the quietest police department of the two) Police which are Dispatched on CMPD North. Also the "unincorporated" areas CMPD Patrols which are becoming not so rural everyday.

Soundman

It seam like when protesting happen our anything big happen in down town thy go dark . I hope Huntersville and Davidson get there own Dispatch . But thy are to cheap . Thy were on Cornelius and would not pay the extra cash .Huntersville and Davidson take the hit when Charlotte screw up . It great thy are back to normal . Medic looks safe from going encrypted for now thy have there own tac channel .Thy have volunteer fire so thy can't .So that good news .

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Anybody know what happened to the CMPD Broadcastify feed? I know the feed provider temporarily took it down during protests due to encryption but they are back in the clear now so I was just wondering if it was removed or the feed provider just decided to take it down permanently. Thanks.

kg4pbd

I'd like to continue to listen with a radio, so hopefully the feed won't come back. CMPD doesn't seem to like having their communications sent over over broadcastify. Twice during uprisings I've heard officers on the radio discussing hearing protestors using the stream.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to continue to listen with a radio, so hopefully the feed won't come back. CMPD doesn't seem to like having their communications sent over over broadcastify. Twice during uprisings I've heard officers on the radio discussing hearing protestors using the stream.

Well luckily I can still hear them from my location. But it was nice to use the app sometimes when out & about. As usual, with the 99% of us that just wanna listen it only takes that 1% to screw everything up for the rest of us... Thanks and 73.

David

Soundman

CMPD had the guy shut it down . That why thy are still active on the radio . I am glad thy did . Everything is going encrypted thanks to the Broadcasting app . Charleston was active on the Broadcasting and now everything is encrypted . Thy used people tax paying money to encrypt all there police radios and thy said it was because of the free apps . People were pissed . The Broadcasting app is killing our hobby . If you would like to hear the police buy a scanner like the rest of use .

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
I think it’s time for this thread to be closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.