Status
Not open for further replies.

dancrosoft

I live in Davidson. It on my base scanner. I hear everything nice an clean .On the meck tower . But from my bc436hp and my homepatrol 1 I get nothing my be 1 bar . I have try the moorsville tower .I get 5 bars on my bc436hp and my home patrol .I only get Cornelius PD. Now only if I could get the moorsville tower to work for me I would be happy .

Yea I have thought about a Yagi but it pss me off that I have to go that route. I can put my g5 on the floor in the bathroom in the middle of the house and I still have 5 bars... Should not have to compensate with a different antenna due to bad receiver designer by a manufacture in my opinion. It could be just the nature of the beat I assume. G5 being dedicated to 700-800 vs SDS100 receiving all. Still @ $600. it should just work with a rubber duck if we are in decent range of a tower.

My thoughts - if a cop can sit in my living room and hear/talk on his radio, any scanner should be able to listen all the same with the same antenna.

Soundman

I wish scanner work like police radios . Some people make scanner from police radios . I put my yagi in my game room .Have you tried a https://www.scannermaster.com/REMTRONIX_800_MHz_Portable_BNC_Antenna_p/22-541122.htm I have the radio shack ones. I got 5 of them when thy were closing .Thy were very cheep . I just don't understand . Before I could get meck one here . But thy must have done something to there tower or uniden and there stupped update my have screwed something up .

Last edited:

dancrosoft

I wish scanner work like police radios . Some people make scanner from police radios . I put my yagi in my game room .Have you tried a https://www.scannermaster.com/REMTRONIX_800_MHz_Portable_BNC_Antenna_p/22-541122.htm I have the radio shack ones. I got 5 of them when thy were closing .Thy were very cheep . I just don't understand . Before I could get meck one here . But thy must have done something to there tower or uniden and there stupped update my have screwed something up .

I use an actual Motorola 800mhz antenna. (Same one that goes on the police radios). I get them off ebay for cheap.

Soundman

I got my Yagi hook to my 536hp .I forgot about the wifi hook up so I updated it .Now I can hear the radio on my apple phone and ipad . It is so cool .If you have a 536hp and a yagi and a apple phone you can run your scanner with the apple phone or ipad . The apple one look really cool it looks just like a home patrol 1 .

steelfed

My Radio Shack Pro 106 has very poor audio quality when monitoring Charlotte-Meck police despite strong signal. Do I need a newer scanner?

dancrosoft

My Radio Shack Pro 106 has very poor audio quality when monitoring Charlotte-Meck police despite strong signal. Do I need a newer scanner?

We have talked about that in this thread towards the end: https://forums.radioreference.com/u...00-1-issue-fixed-one-remains.html#post3016888

Short answer is yes but make sure you do your research. If you are willing to learn a somewhat new way of doing things - a Unication G5 works flawlessly. Not channel hold tho.. SDS100 is the only other option.

CLT USAI does not work well on ANY other scanner I own. TRX1 and couple gen behind Uniden (both claim to support P25 and both useless on USAI).

garys

Premium Subscriber
Rather than start a whole new thread, I thought to post this here. I'm in the panhandle of Lancaster County. Most of the time I can't receive the control channel for the Mecklenburg simulcast. I'm staying right off of 521, about 5 miles south of the state line.

I'm limited to a 436HP with a RS800 rubber ducky antenna. I can receive the Union County site, but I don't expect that will carry Charlotte traffic on a regular basis.

What is the "normal" coverage of the Mecklenburg simulcast? I know that normal varies widely, but wonder if I'll get a lot of improvement with a mag mount closer to a window.

WeBeCinYa

I use a Larsen NMO 150/450/800 Antenna with magnetic mount on my truck for my 436HP and it works really well in the area.

dancrosoft

Rather than start a whole new thread, I thought to post this here. I'm in the panhandle of Lancaster County. Most of the time I can't receive the control channel for the Mecklenburg simulcast. I'm staying right off of 521, about 5 miles south of the state line.

I'm limited to a 436HP with a RS800 rubber ducky antenna. I can receive the Union County site, but I don't expect that will carry Charlotte traffic on a regular basis.

What is the "normal" coverage of the Mecklenburg simulcast? I know that normal varies widely, but wonder if I'll get a lot of improvement with a mag mount closer to a window.

I say try it. Get the one on amazon that is like 13 bucks. If that makes things better - spring for a better one with more gain if you need it.

My SDS100 was/is super crappy on a rubber duck. It is acceptable on the cheap mag mount.

I know I am beating a dead horse but I have to point out again that my G5 has none of these issues even with the tiny nub antenna that comes with it.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Sitting at CLT waiting for my flight. The simulcast is coming in perfectly. Apparently, it's just my location in Lancaster County.

Status
Not open for further replies.