Charlotte UASI Questions

I have a couple questions about Charlotte UASI control channels:

1. What's the deal with control channels? Do I need to program all of them? Should I program the non-control channels? If not, why are they listed, what do they do?

2. Why are there multiple control channels? If I remember correctly, Charlotte UASI is a simulcast system, so, shouldn't there only be one control channel?

3. What should I be doing in terms of roaming? I mainly scan from my house but sometimes from my car. What other options are available?

4. Squelch. What should I do in terms of squelch for P25? Does it matter? What does it do for a trunked system?

I would appreciate an answer to any or all fo these. Thank you!

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
1. What's the deal with control channels? Do I need to program all of them? Should I program the non-control channels? If not, why are they listed, what do they do?

Control channels (CCs) are strings of data that gives out system information (sysID, WACN, site neighbors etc etc) and are highly vital to trunked systems You will want to program all the frequencies that are marked in red with a "(c)" on the RR database.

2. Why are there multiple control channels? If I remember correctly, Charlotte UASI is a simulcast system, so, shouldn't there only be one control channel?

There is only one useable CC at a time. However there is a risk of systems being targeted (which is rare but a possibility) or the repeater for that frequency can go down. So in order to keep the system running, the site will automatically switch to one of the few CCs to keep the system running as normal.

3. What should I be doing in terms of roaming? I mainly scan from my house but sometimes from my car. What other options are available?

Depending on the unit, you can use quick keys to program multiple sites and control them as you get closer/farther. (Ie. Mecklenburg simulcast on QK 1, Gaston on QK 2, Stanly on QK 3, etc etc.)

4. Squelch. What should I do in terms of squelch for P25? Does it matter? What does it do for a trunked system?

It's not as crucial from what I've noticed with my local sites. I use 2 on all my Unidens. But I would recommend to use whatever gives the least amount of complications for you.

RickH

I have a couple questions about Charlotte UASI control channels:

I would appreciate an answer to any or all fo these. Thank you!
Control channels (CCs) are strings of data that gives out system information (sysID, WACN, site neighbors etc etc) and are highly vital to trunked systems You will want to program all the frequencies that are marked in red with a "(c)" on the RR database.

There is only one useable CC at a time. However there is a risk of systems being targeted (which is rare but a possibility) or the repeater for that frequency can go down. So in order to keep the system running, the site will automatically switch to one of the few CCs to keep the system running as normal.

Depending on the unit, you can use quick keys to program multiple sites and control them as you get closer/farther. (Ie. Mecklenburg simulcast on QK 1, Gaston on QK 2, Stanly on QK 3, etc etc.)

It's not as crucial from what I've noticed with my local sites. I use 2 on all my Unidens. But I would recommend to use whatever gives the least amount of complications for you.
The one area that may be a problem is simulcast. If you are hearing garbled calls, this could be receiving from multiple towers. I am lucky as not much of a problem for me in Matthews.

Thank you very much, you answered my questions so quickly and thoroughly. I appreciate it greatly.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
The one area that may be a problem is simulcast. If you are hearing garbled calls, this could be receiving from multiple towers. I am lucky as not much of a problem for me in Matthews.
That is something I failed to mention. Thank you!
One of the best units to utilize for simulcast (at least in Mecklenburg) is the Unication G series pager (G4 or G5 specifically)
Due to a multitude of issue with my SDS units, I don't recommend it anymore when there's better units for less.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I'm not quite understanding what you're referring to here. What settings here could affect simulcast?
The issue with it is, there's so many frequencies being ran on simulcast which can confuse older units such as BCD996 and x36HP units.
I'm not sure what you're running on, but I don't have a lot of issues with the 996 on the Gaston simulcast

RickH

There may be others that can explain this better, but since it is a simulcast systems, they are broadcasting the same signal off multiple towers. Depending on your location, you maybe receiving signals from different towers, with a millisecond delay to your radio. Not sure if turning down the squelch helps in this situation.

The issue with it is, there's so many frequencies being ran on simulcast which can confuse older units such as BCD996 and x36HP units.
I'm not sure what you're running on, but I don't have a lot of issues with the 996 on the Gaston simulcast
So, should I refrain from programing all the control channels besides the active one, or lock them out? I'm using a WS-1065

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
So, should I refrain from programing all the control channels besides the active one, or lock them out? I'm using a WS-1065
Umm, with the Whistler, @RaleighGuy is definitely more qualified to answer that question. I believe you need all the frequencies (both CC and voice).
If someone or RaleighGuy can provide a better answer, please do so.

Tobydog

Just Program control channels into your radio. System computer controls what control channel carries audio. Do not Program voice channels since they are also computer controlled. Just determine the talkgroups you want and Program those in also

Umm, with the Whistler, @RaleighGuy is definitely more qualified to answer that question. I believe you need all the frequencies (both CC and voice).
Cool, hopefully he will answer. So far the scanner has been working with all of the control channels and no voice channels. However, I always want better performance haha.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

@andrewlikesfiretrucks

You should program all CCs, but not all voice frequencies, not doing so is gambling the CC will never have a problem, go down or change.