Charlotte UASI

bbeam

Premium Subscriber
I'm not able to hear any traffic on the Charlotte USAI system in Hickory but I do in Denver, NC. I have a high location in Hickory so I'm surprised I'm not able to copy, that the USAI coverage is not more broad. Is there anyone else in the Hickory area that can pick up Charlotte traffic?

Thanks

Bryan

trumpetman

Database Admin
The Mecklenburg simulcast falls off pretty quickly going up NC16 near Anderson Mtn. I wouldn't expect to hear anything in Hickory without a directional antenna on a tower, there's just too much terrain in the way.

bbeam

Premium Subscriber
The Mecklenburg simulcast falls off pretty quickly going up NC16 near Anderson Mtn. I wouldn't expect to hear anything in Hickory without a directional antenna on a tower, there's just too much terrain in the way.
Dang....you would think they would want more coverage beyond the county line. Thank you for the response.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Scanner land may want more coverage, but day to day ops doesn't need coverage outside of the usual jurisdiction. There are regional UASI channels that can roam further using the Gastonia and Mooresville sites, and also VIPER access for coverage beyond the Charlotte system. Frequencies are at a premium now so coverage is designed to cover necessary areas only to allow for more efficient channel reuse.

bbeam

Premium Subscriber
Scanner land may want more coverage, but day to day ops doesn't need coverage outside of the usual jurisdiction. There are regional UASI channels that can roam further using the Gastonia and Mooresville sites, and also VIPER access for coverage beyond the Charlotte system. Frequencies are at a premium now so coverage is designed to cover necessary areas only to allow for more efficient channel reuse.
That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the regional UASI channels.

I think my only solution is to set up my scanner in Denver, where it does pick up UASI, and broadcast it so I can monitor at work in Hickory.

Do you have any recommendations for broadcast software?

Thanks much!

Bryan

trumpetman

Database Admin
Someone else will have to chime in. I have very little experience with streaming scanners. There is a live audio sub-forum that may be worth browsing to get ideas and see what others are doing to accomplish the same thing.