Charlottesville 800 system update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
According to albemarle.org/procurements website, an intent to award has been posted for Harris corp for the new project 25 phase 2 system. Interesting to note that motorola radios are currently installed in all vehicles and of course infrastructure. I wonder what this will mean for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
if it is phase 2 the majority of radios aren't compatible anyway. the Apx radios they have will still work. As far as infrastructure, It all has to go.

i know some people unhappy about this

QDP2012

if it is phase 2 the majority of radios aren't compatible anyway. the Apx radios they have will still work. As far as infrastructure, It all has to go.
I wasn't sure how much of the existing system and radios could be used with a P25P2 system.

...i know some people unhappy about this
If you can/would share a bit more info, I'm curious about generally who (bill-payers? ...current vendors? ...or end-users?) and specifically why they are unhappy?

Thanks,

(Disclaimer: I am not related to any person nor employed by any business which might profit from the above knowledge.)

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
i know some people unhappy about this

I was curious about that too. The rfp calls for the upgraded system to be a project 25 phase 2 tdma system. Many of the mobile and portable radios currently installed are of the motorola apx product line from what I have seen. There are still several more radios to be replaced/upgraded presumably.

Motorola solutions won the contract to flash all of the existing motorola radios to phase 2 based on the sole fact that they were the only company that made sense to do that.

Johnson1522

Sorry to interject myself, but what does this mean for my pro-651? I'll be moving to the area soon, and my radio has worked fine so far when I visit. I'm guessing there's no known time table, but it seems as if I'll have to upgrade my scanner before long?

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Johnson1522, no problem. If your pro-651 will not follow a project 25 phase 2 tdma system, you will need to upgrade to one that will. I don't know this for a fact, but my guess would be that certainly by 2019 they will be on the new system. They still have a tower to tear down and a new one to put up as well as testing to be done. This is just the first of many steps on the way to the new system.

Johnson1522

I figured there would be a lag time between receiving the phase 2 label and actual implementation. What you're telling me is that there's no need to rush out and replace everything I own. What I'm telling my wife is something completely different. Thanks, bluemoon2.

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
All of the the Motorola infrastructure is coming to end of life, if it already hasn't. The Motorola shops make some money on the sale and install of the equipment but the money is in the maintenance contract. So if said customer switches vendors, the shop takes a huge hit to their bottom line. Fauquier and Culpeper jumped on Harris bandwagon too. Motorola are pricing themselves out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.