Charlottesville Scanner Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

prthorsenjr

Howdy,

The thought just crossed my mind to try and figure out how many folks in Charlottesville and surround Albemarle Count[ies]y are out there and looking here on this forum. I'd be interested in trying to snarf everyones favorite frequencies/talk groups and whatever else might be out there for the Bearcat and GRE scanners and if folks think it is a good idea perhaps getting together once in a while for lunch or a beer or whatever and comparing notes and or stories about stuff heard on the air.

What do y'all think?

Pete

gcgrotz

I'm here in downtown. I know a couple of railfans that are scanner users, mostly rail though.

There's a few of us here. There are some of the fire dept guys that lurk around here too, maybe we can get them out; or offer to host a meeting or something.

Last edited:

Jonesym20

I'm a bit north, in Greene, but I get great reception for Albemarle and C'ville, I'm also interested in what a lot a guys around here listen to.

I enjoy listening to the Fork Mtn. Stars Tower. I've only been down in this area for a year, but I've heard multiple chases in the richmond area by troopers on that tower.

C'ville police always proves to be good on a thursday, friday or saturday night. Seems like there is a 75% chance you'll have some type of shots fired and city cops scrambling to set up a perimeter.

Anyone ever pick up stuff from the other side of the mountains?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
...Anyone ever pick up stuff from the other side of the mountains?

I'm here on the other side, in Rockingham- soon to be Provoice land. Depending on where the scanner is in the house, I can pick up Charlottesville/ Alb TRS. It's all or nothing... if I have reception on the CC, I'll pick up traffic better than anything close to here. The scanner typically has to be in the kitchen window-sill or in my son's room on his dresser.

I guess in the next few months I'll be looking for other things to listen to on my scanner. I'm currently listening to Rockingham, Augusta & STARS. Once the switch is made, I'll only have Augusta & STARS. I might have to "branch out" and listen to what's happening on your side of the mountain soon.

If a date's set to meet somewhere I'd be up for it if I can get away for a few hours.

Todd

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Also, typically when I've been in the Charlottesville area I'm in my personal vehicle w/ an external scanner antenna. I really haven't had any luck picking up much for Rockingham. Augusta does a little better on that side of the mountain.

Years ago, I had 2 separate occasions when I had to contact Augusta EOC and Rockingham EOC. That was when we still had lowband in addition to uhf, and the lowband radios performed well. UHF doesn't seem to be as "flexible" when you are outside of an area that is beyond the designed coverage. I was in Charlottesville in a fire dept. SUV a couple of years ago and we received a text message for a call, but never heard anything on our mobile radio. Kind of surprised me.

sloan

I'm over towards Batesville and listen mostly to Cville/Albemarle and Nelson Country traffic. I'm new to scanning but would enjoy getting together to meet some folks.

prthorsenjr

I haven't disappeared, honest.

Folks,

I am still interested in getting together and chatting etc., about scanning here in Central Va. Sorry, I didn't follow up as well as I would have liked to last week regarding this posting. I've just been busy and with the Holiday and all it didn't make it any easier.

Hopefully we'll get something set up here soon.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.