Charlottetown Police Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Charlottetown Police have got a new digital system up and running since new years day. Reports suggest it is encrypted because when listening, just a constant buzz when they key the radio. Anyone got any information on this new system? Frequencies, talkgroups, ect...?

Thanks

cannon1

Cannon1

Charlottetown system is a Motorola Turbo ( mototubo ?), Is it using the same freq. and can a GRE PSR 500 receive it ?

DaveH

MOTOTRBO is not encryption per se, although "privacy" may be enabled which more or
less precludes any decoding by software.

I suggest going to this thread for Windows version of DSD; but it is not without its
limitations, and cannot follow trunked TRBO (Connect Plus or Capacity Plus systems).

http://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-decoding-software/227386-dsd-windows-port.html

As you will see in this thread, it requires a discriminator tapped receiver (not speaker/headphone -jack audio),
and some PC sound hardware works better than others...

Dave

Last edited:

cannon1

Mototurbo ?

Thanks, I haven't looked at the site yet but the info is in line with other sources I have been investigating, I also thank earlier respondents for their input. Knowledge is strength, and pulling together we are stronger still than the sum of our numbers.
Cannon1

hfxChris

Database Admin
Anybody know if Charlottetown police are on the island trunked system, or if they operate their own repeater?
There are three frequencies listed in the database, and two of them are voice channels used by the Pisquid site on the trunked system. Anybody able to confirm for sure what's going on?

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Anybody know if Charlottetown police are on the island trunked system, or if they operate their own repeater?
There are three frequencies listed in the database, and two of them are voice channels used by the Pisquid site on the trunked system. Anybody able to confirm for sure what's going on?

Definitely not trunk... I would guess conventional, same as they had before, but with a new digital modulation scheme, maybe even multiple sites.. I haven't heard any new control channels for a trunk system, they are still coming up in analog occasionally. They are using new MOTOTRBO radios.

cannon1

Still looking into it, but, A no they are not trunking. B, unsure of site but likley the aliant tower in 1 of 2 sites in Charlottetown, not Pisquid. C, they are using the MOTOTURBO ( Motorola ) system, digital, the capacity is there but not encrypted at this time. D, they can be heard intermittantly on the old freq. there may be issuse with the new system. This MAY just be a short term fix to address privacey issuses until the new provincial / inter provincial digital trunk system is up and running ( 2014 ?)

hfxChris

Database Admin
Ok so right now I have 811.8375 and 854.2875 listed for Charlottetown police.
I'll change their modes from FM to TRBO in the database.

Interesting though that 811.8375 is also the input frequency for one of the voice channels at the Pisquid site.

cannon1

hfxChris
The 854.2875 is the old / current freq. used. I think the 811.8375 was a compromised freq. changed after a radio went missing.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
811.8375Mhz is an input frequency only.

No commercial radio can receive this frequency without major hacking.

There should be a corresponding output frequency 45Mhz higher if they've followed the usual spacing for that band.

JRayfield

Dave, what Motorola calls 'Enhanced Privacy' in the MOTOTRBO product line, is 'encryption'. It's a 40 bit encryption, using the ARC4 algorithm, but then modified so that some of the 'key data' sent over the air changes in every voice and data packet. It can be thought of as a digital form of 'rolling code' analog scrambling and is just as secure (if not, more so).

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

MOTOTRBO is not encryption per se, although "privacy" may be enabled which more or
less precludes any decoding by software.

I suggest going to this thread for Windows version of DSD; but it is not without its
limitations, and cannot follow trunked TRBO (Connect Plus or Capacity Plus systems).

http://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-decoding-software/227386-dsd-windows-port.html

As you will see in this thread, it requires a discriminator tapped receiver (not speaker/headphone -jack audio),
and some PC sound hardware works better than others...

Dave

DJBio

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
a friend of mine had his scanner with him the other night and he picked them up on 854.287

cannon1

chtwn pd

Presently Chtwn PD are not using the Mototrbo system or only intermittantly, and are on 854.2875. Media has made an announcement that there will be no upgrade to an interprovincial digital system, as the cost is prohibitive, ( new tranceivers for all ). The present PEI system can be expanded, but the fire dept. have been waiting for the new system. I would expect they will now move to the existing PICs, with the ability to link to EMS but not PD's.

215ax

Charlottetown Police tested the encrypted system while they were waiting for the Maritime Provinces to decide whether or not they would be upgrading to a maritime integrated system. When they decided that it was going to be too expensive, Charlottetown Police went back to their old frequency of 854.2875 and not trunked or encryped. Any scanner should be able to pick them up

215ax

City Police

I stand to be corrected, ( I think!?!) They are on the missing list again as of July. They went encryped, then back to old system, and now, not sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.