Chas Co. APCO 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

marke241

Is anyone picking up anything using the freq. and talkgroups listed in the database. I can not even get the Chas. Simulcast tower to come up a verify the system ID using my PRO-96.

are you sure you are useing the right data freg on the chas co simucast system they have more than one and it has a tendoncy to change and it would also depend on which end you live on thers a mt pleasant site and a mccellenville site also im all the way up into darling ton and i can hit themon the mcellenville site mainly and the mtpleasant site also i can hear the chas system at night all on my pro 96

marke241

Have all the Chas. Co simulcast freq. programmed. Only picking up a little traffic on the Mt. Pleasant site.
I don't know if the information is incorrect or if its my scanner. Works great on Palmetto 800 system. Just will not track the new county system.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
It's well-documented on the forums that these scanners (and the newer GRE line of digital radios) struggle with P25 simulcast systems like that in Chas County. Its the LSM modulation used in the simulcast transmissions that seem to be a problem for scanners. I had the same problem with my PRO-96 on the Charleston County system and others have reported similar experience. The PRO-106/PSR-500 is better but still not great. Search the forums and you'll read similar reports.

The McClellanville and Mt. Pleasant sites aren't simulcast, I don't think. But you won't hear ALL traffic on them either and their coverage is limited.

The common suggestion is to use a directional antenna that will help isolate reception to one (the nearest) tower. That's impossible when using the radio in a portable or mobile fashion.

i have had that problem too in the chas area but i have noticed that its when im around a lot of cell phone towers though when im in an area where theres not my pro 96 seems to do fine like when im at home during the dary i have it hooked to a 800 mhz yagi turned towords chas and i can hit the mt pleasant and mcelleanville sites as well as gtown county and at night i can hit the chas county system and can hear all of it fine so i figure that it has to have something to do with all of the cell phone towers down there they are all on top of each other

marke241

Thanks for all the feedback. I have 4 other Radio Shack scanners and I have to say I have been really disapointed by the PRO 96. I am working downtown and I can not even pick up the city police on this thing most of the time. I works fine on the Palmetto 800 system and VHF in the area. I was beginning to think it was my radio only. I see that the County system is a problem for most everyone in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.