Chatham, Ontario city police

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtc199

The frequency listed is the ONLY frequency that can be monitored, police has moved onto the EDACS system run by Thames Communications, but all of those talkgroups can not be monitored by any scanner. One key to the Car-to-Car frequency - the closer you are to Headquarters or a cruiser, the better the reception.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
The frequency listed is the ONLY frequency that can be monitored, police has moved onto the EDACS system run by Thames Communications, but all of those talkgroups can not be monitored by any scanner. One key to the Car-to-Car frequency - the closer you are to Headquarters or a cruiser, the better the reception.

It is possible to listen to dispatch, have a buddy of mine in tilbury and he can pick up dispatch on his,you need to have a digital scanner, He has the PSR-600, if u already have a digital scanner this has info and freq..
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1779

gwtc199

It is possible to listen to dispatch, have a buddy of mine in tilbury and he can pick up dispatch on his,you need to have a digital scanner, He has the PSR-600, if u already have a digital scanner this has info and freq..
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1779

You can only hear CK Common and Provincial Common (patch to 142.77) on that system, and those talkgroups are used very infrequently, as for the Car-to-Car frequency dispatch in on there also.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I guarantee you he isn't listening to the dispatch talkgroup on his PSR-600... Chatham uses Provoice digital which is not monitorable by any scanner on the market.

Cappyton

The car repeater is the only thing you can monitor. Other then TG 519 withc is for Thames to test the radios on mostly or something happens that CKPS and OPP or another service all jump onto.

When CKPS does a patch with OPP all ckps member who are on that call switch over to CK Com and chat away. Other then that one talk group on the edacs system, you wont hear any police talk. Unless your near a CK police station, or one of their cars

Little slip up they have is the repeaters. And you can only hear what is going on, on the "Operational" channel, if they switch to tac 1 or 2, querry or cirt, you wont hear them because the repeaters dont have access to them tg's. Only on operational they do

Only way you will be able to hear all the talk all the time. Is to buy a provoice radio and somehow get one of the thames techs programm it for you, witch. they would never do. They wont even put in 1 provoice talk group for your own use. Thats ONLY for police in CK.. and london

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
What's to stop you from doing it yourself?

As I recall, Chatham/Kent PS aren't encrypted so in theory a ProVoice LPE-200 should work fine.

This wouldn't work for London however - they are also encrypted.

moonbounce

"This wouldn't work for London however - they are also encrypted."

How could you possibly know that !

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
hmmm dunno what he or how he does it ,i do know he does do some network and programming stuff not sure as to where or what kind but i recall while i was over at his house,that it was CKPS i think at least unless someone else responds to domestic durstbance and trouble unknown? I guess it could've been the OPP but i am almost certain it was CKPS...Next time i see him i'll ask him

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
hmmm dunno what he or how he does it ,i do know he does do some network and programming stuff not sure as to where or what kind but i recall while i was over at his house,that it was CKPS i think at least unless someone else responds to domestic durstbance and trouble unknown? I guess it could've been the OPP but i am almost certain it was CKPS...Next time i see him i'll ask him

If he was listening on a scanner, it was OPP or Windsor police. As I mentioned above, CKPS is not scannable by any scanner currently on the market. As was also mentioned, a programmed system radio may do the trick, but that's another whole can of worms.

gwtc199

It is possible to pick up 866.2500 if your near the middle of Tilbury, I pick them up evry time I pass through the Queen St./Main St. intersection. If your friend lives near the Police Detachment, its possible he is hearing CKPS, and since there are simplex repeaters in the cars, that is how he's hearing both sides of the conversation (btw... those repeaters stay on for 2 hours after the car is turned off!!).

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It is possible to pick up 866.2500 if your near the middle of Tilbury, I pick them up evry time I pass through the Queen St./Main St. intersection. If your friend lives near the Police Detachment, its possible he is hearing CKPS, and since there are simplex repeaters in the cars, that is how he's hearing both sides of the conversation (btw... those repeaters stay on for 2 hours after the car is turned off!!).

This is true.... I shouldn't say there was no way he could be listening to CKPS with a scanner... this way works under the right conditions. I live about a half KM from an OPP detachment and get great reception on their VR channels using an old 16 channel scanner from Ebay. Who needs a $500 digital radio? :) Well, I've got one of those too, but that's besides the point!

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I have a mouth. I know how to ask.

If a Police Department is encrypted, they're MORE than happy to tell you so.

That, and others have taken the 'risk' and have tried out commercial gear on the system, only to find out they are encrypted.

"This wouldn't work for London however - they are also encrypted."

How could you possibly know that !

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Asked my buddy and yes he is close to the middle of town,and yes it was CKPS, like you guys sd it is the repeater he picks up, he was saying beings tibby is a small town ,when a patrol car comers into town, pretty much covers the whole city as for reception from a scanner...

gwtc199

Asked my buddy and yes he is close to the middle of town,and yes it was CKPS, like you guys sd it is the repeater he picks up, he was saying beings tibby is a small town ,when a patrol car comers into town, pretty much covers the whole city as for reception from a scanner...

I thought so, I've been @ work near the auto mall all weekend and I hear them all the time, comes in kind of weak because of all the cement and steel in the building. But I love it when they sit in the dealership lots, comes in loud and clear.

gwtc199

How'd ya guess, must be because thats the only factory around that end of town.
If he thought that was bad, That place is now down to less than 150 people!!

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
ya its sad, was a really good place for tilbury...Then the union came in and that was that..Off to mexico they are going...My buddy did end up becoming a union rep but still got laid off,after alot of time put in, i know he was a walk-in and did not go through a temp agency, but at least he got a good buyout,being a former tibby boy myself it is a shame to see this happen, even the old "rockwell" is going down, the only place i hear that is somewhat going good is that utlity pole place by tilbury steel, lol i bet you prob even know my buddy

gwtc199

Oh that would be Global Composites, ya I heard the same, they got a good sized order from CK Energy, they've been puttin them poles up @ the st clair road work site (between McNaughton and Gregory).
PM me you buddy's name, i'm kind of curious who it is now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.