Chattanooga, TN Area - Call Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I hope no one takes offense to this, but being a newly licensed amateur operator, its hard to recognize a lot of the call signs in the area. You just get so used to saying you call signs and they just roll off your tongue without thinking, and fast most of the time. You also know your friends on the air and you also speak theri call signs rather fast. It's hard to a newbe to catch all of this at times, and especially if you're an older person with a slight hearing problem. I know if I cant hear the call signs, I cant say them, if I cant call on someone, I can't talk. That's the rules. So I hope some will slow down on the pronouncing of ther call signs, for the hobby's sake! Thanks.

darg

I'm with you. For a newbie it's hard to understand call signs but you will get an ear for something like that. It's just, that we are not used to get a lot of spelling so you need to get into it by listening.
I had that also and still have the issue but I started to note down the call signs in nets as a training and I'm getting better. Try it for your self.

fineshot1

Q Codes

If you miss someones call sign the proper procedure is to announce "QRZ'ed please repeat" and hopefully that someone will repeat his/her call sign. Study up on the Q codes. Most of them are more usefull in cw mode but some are properly also used on fm & ssb.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Once solid communications have been established, callsigns noted and conversation becomes casual often those callsigns come out perhaps a bit too fast and hard to understand BUT remember they have already been noted by the individuals or the group and have become just a legal formality. Trying to establish communications is another matter entirely so usually the callsign is given first in plain English, then repeated twice phonetically. Eh, at least that's procedure as I learned it, your mileage may vary. (;->)

Oh there are exceptions to the rule we call "lids" who can't get anything right and then there are the DX dog piles where anything goes, chaos and confusion rule the day. As the saying goes, if I had a dollar for every DX station that never gives the callsign expecting everyone to know it I'd be a millionaire. If you think you have trouble understanding callsigns try asking the DX "I didn't catch your call, please repeat." and PRAY you can understand him IF he doesn't ignore you and go on to the next caller before you have a chance to legally sign off at the end of the exchange.

Being new you have barely scratched the surface and callsigns are the least of your troubles. Wait 'till you've been around the block a few times and you'll understand the meaning of the song by BTO.
You ain't seen nothin' yet
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet
Here's something, here's something that you're never gonna forget
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet
You need educated
YouTube - BTO - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You're not out of line if you ask for a stations call sign phonetically. And no one is going to nit-pick (outside of RadioReference) if you say something like 'The station that just called CQ, I missed your call, say it again phonetically please'... and then you go ahead and work him.

Regarding Q signals, some guys like 'em, but in some circumstances, they can sound rather inane when not on CW. Plain language is always acceptable.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I hope no one takes offense to this, but being a newly licensed amateur operator, its hard to recognize a lot of the call signs in the area.
You don't have to be new to experience this problem. I have a hard time making out calls most times, especially on a particular local net, sounding like:

"kayceee8fnborbleiz"

...which takes about 0.2 seconds to announce. I think the only people who understand it are people who know them.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Well, been licensed for almost two months. Do not have any equipment, but listen to 2m & 70cm on my Pro-106 digital handheld scanner. Tryint to get used to voices and call signs. That's why I can't ask anyone to "repeat" anything. It's getting better. Listening to the local Nets helps and ride time int he mornings and evenings. Not too much going on on the weekend it seems.

Using my Pro-106 I decided to at least invest in a 2m/70cm magnetic antenna for monitoring, so when I get a rig I'll at least already have an antenna. It's weird, but it doesn't seem to increase my receiving capabilities on the 106 over the rubber-duckie reception. I'll give a a little more time.

Thanks again for all imput!
KJ4TVL

elk2370bruce

You've been a passive listener long enough. Your skills will only improve when you get on the air and you interact with others. We all were new to the talk button at one time or another and the people on the repeater will help you learn as you go. You will learn, make new friends, and have some two-way fun. Have you considered buying a used rig from a local ham? There are many used (but not abused) rigs out there for el-cheapo. GO FER IT!! You'll never regret that first big step.

Cochran_rick

I have trouble hearing call signs, and have never hesitated to ask them to repeat it slower or phoenetically. I have yet to have one refuse or even act as if they were being inconvenienced. My call sign doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and I have to repeat it to others. I have a scratch pad and pen handy so I can write the call sign and persons name so I will have it next time. It gets easier in time, but until then get on the air and practice! Nothing beats experience. Good luck and 73's.

elk2370bruce

I have trouble hearing call signs, and have never hesitated to ask them to repeat it slower or phoenetically. I have yet to have one refuse or even act as if they were being inconvenienced. My call sign doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and I have to repeat it to others. I have a scratch pad and pen handy so I can write the call sign and persons name so I will have it next time. It gets easier in time, but until then get on the air and practice! Nothing beats experience. Good luck and 73's.

Rick is right! 99.999 percent of the hams are dynamite people who started the way you did and will help you get used how things happen. While you may be gently guided in learning the rules and social niceties, take these suggestions to heart, and don't take the guidance as criticism, and you will be a welcomed member of the on the air family. GO FER IT. During my first few times on the repeater, I got (and needed) a lot of gentle guidance (but never a swift kick in the butt). You gotta do better than I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.