Chattanooga's 800MHz system expands

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

The Catoosa County Georgia Board of Commissioners agreed to have their county attorneys draft a contract with the City of Chattanooga to use their 800Mhz trunked system as the backbone for their new system.
During a recent meeting with Commissioners, Sheriff Phil Summers said original plans to build Catoosas' own system have fallen through because of the cost involved. He said it's much more cost effective to tie-into Chattanoogas', and that the process to build the system can begin now rather than waiting several more years for funds to acrue.
Three of Chattanooga's towers radiate signals south of the Tennessee/Georgia state line; Lookout Mountain, Signal Mountian and White Oak Mountian.
Summers said based on studies by Motorola engineers, Catoosa would have to add one, or possibly two sites that tie-into Chattanooga's system.
Summers added it would cost the county about $50,000 per year to fund the system, as opposed to $70,000 to pay for maintenance on it's own six to eight site system.
Currently the VHF-high band system at 150 MHz provides 50% to 60% portable coverage across Catoosa County, and the numerous mountains and ridges are the main problem. Summers said with signals coming from Chattanooga's system and a tower in the county portable coverage would exceed 80%.
Chattanooga upgraded it's system last summer from a SmartNet system to an Astro SmartZone 3,600 baud system that supports analog and digital voice and data. The system was also designed to allow neighboring counties to tie-into a regional system.
Walker County Georgia Sheriff Steve Wilson said he's also interested in doing what Catoosa County is planning but funds are not available.
To see how such a system would work, check the Chatham County Georgia trunked system. It now supports a satellite system in Effingham County to the north with it's own set of frequencies.
Chattanooga officials have said they have offered the expansion of the 800Mhz trunked system into neighboring Marion, Rhea, Meigs and Bradley counties in Tennessee. Officials in those counties have said it's a good idea but that the cost to develop a trunked system is too high at current county funding levels. Marion County Sheriff Bo Burnett said engineers told him it would take seven sites to cover the mountainous terrain there.
Bradley County EMA officials have said they want to move toward an 800MHz system, but they are at odds with the City of Cleveland, which wants to remain in the 150MHZ range.
Updates on the Catoosa County 800MHz system will follow as engineering and construction of sites begins.
Catoosa agenices scheduled to move toward 800MHz include Catoosa County Sheriff's Department, Fire-Rescue and Emergency Medical Service. No word yet as to whether cities of Ringgold and Fort Oglethorpe will make the switch when the county does.

hulio

Premium Subscriber
the traffic I heard this morning there is supposed to be meeting about all of the VHF stuff if bradley county Tuesday....Just like Georgia folks, That would be just a MAJOR major expence for the smaller counties.

ccfire

Premium Subscriber
in monroe county there is talk of getting vhf narrow band radios for public safety. Do not know if they know of or are thinking about hooking up with the Chattanooga svstem or not.

ridew2706

Premium Subscriber
Roane County Talkgroups

I have heard these lately

8031- Possibly Rockwood PD Tactical Channel
8033- Possibly RCSD Tactical Channel
8060 - Sounds like Building inspection or codes enforcement
8061 - Possibly Local Highway Department

click23

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum ridew2706. Take a look back at the top of the Tennessee forum and you will see a thread called "Chattanooga Regional P25 System". That is the main thread for this news system

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I've started posting my finds in the Wiki area! Keep checking it out! Changes made frequently!

crdfx

800mhz

totally new to all this i have just a bearcatmodel 855 scanner that i used to listen to megis county police and fire on but TVA police have given megis county 800 mhz radios and i want to know if i can program this scanner to get there calls now i tryed to scan 800 to see if i could find then but i dont hear anything thanks for any help and if i cant use this scanner what will i need to recive they calls now

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I can't find anythin on the bearcatmodel 855 scanner and I don't know it. But if it is not a trunktracker you won't be able to follow any trunked systems and if it isn't digital you won't be able to listen to a lot of items coming up!

crdfx

ok so im guessing this radio is now useless so what would you reccomond i get to be able to follow tennessee hwy patrol and this new 800 mhz trunk system for megis county looking to buy a base unit or hand held either one that will work to receive there calls

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
ok so im guessing this radio is now useless so what would you reccomond i get to be able to follow tennessee hwy patrol and this new 800 mhz trunk system for megis county looking to buy a base unit or hand held either one that will work to receive there calls

No scanner is really ever "opsolete". Everybody has to have backup frequencies if the trunked system fails. You should consider a digital scanner in you purchase thoughts. There are different opinions as to what brand to buy. I purchased the RadioShack 106 handheld because I could get it on a "credit account". There more than happy to get you setup. I may have to pay a little more, but it that's the only way I could get one, so be it! I like having a handheld so I can take it ANYWHERE I want and it has come in handy. Best wishes!

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Do you thing the regular/old Chattanooga 800 site will stay active or will they move everything over the the P25 side? I've had a lot of folks ask me this and I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.