Chautauqua County Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
I am getting the CC very strong at my house in Erie County on my SDR, however, I cannot get OP25 to work properly (I for some reason cant change the frequencies its monitoring, it will only do the ones that it come loaded with ie. NYSEG, Cortland, Onondaga, etc).... I see tons of activity monitoring the CC, but I cant monitor so I don't know what TG is what....

It was my project last week to finally map out the whole system, because its been up for so long with no information, but ive had no luck

KA1RBI

I am getting the CC very strong at my house in Erie County on my SDR, however, I cannot get OP25 to work properly (I for some reason cant change the frequencies its monitoring, it will only do the ones that it come loaded with ie. NYSEG, Cortland, Onondaga, etc).... I see tons of activity monitoring the CC, but I cant monitor so I don't know what TG is what....

It was my project last week to finally map out the whole system, because its been up for so long with no information, but ive had no luck

OP25 is distributed with some sample config files in TSV format. It won't work on your local system without customization. You just need to create a trunking TSV file for your local area... The process is detailed at
SignalScopePage
There's also a thread about OP25 in the software defined radio forum in RR but it's quite long. If you have specific questions about configuring the TSV files that's a good place to ask.........

If the CC is coming in strong you should have no trouble monitoring the system...

Max

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it a long thread. I got some direction from there but I didn't wanna post a question that was probably asked in the other 40 pages on there. Thanks for that link, I didn't have it. I'll try and get it going this week and share my findings

154.785 was the Chautauqua County Jail frequency and used to be a drug task force frequency. It is now just bursts of digital noise.

VHF is a difficult-enough band to get clear frequencies in, add the geometry of having a combiner/multicoupler, and dealing with ISED Canada and Harmful Interference Anticipated notifications across the Great Lakes. What Chautauqua County did was aggregate many of the channels they already have a license for, as they were known to pass the harsh North-of-Line-A Canadian vetting. Should not be a surprise one of their frequencies was retasked and rolled into the trunked system, as it's easier to find a localized frequency for a campus than it is to find a clear, "good with Canada" frequency that meets FB8 exclusivity (darned near impossible).

The digital noise is either the control channel or voice channels, and one would need a P25 scanner.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Progress,

Thanks for that link, that and the new video up on installing OP25 that came out last week helped out a lot.
Now, my problem is I'm not getting audio, I think it's cuse I'm running it in a virtual machine on parallels on my mac.
I'm wiping an old laptop to do a install of Linux. So far; this is what I got for talkgroups. Still don't know who is who with no voice, but it's something

Chat Co Talkgroups
9001 - 0x2329 -
9009 - 0x2331 -
9010 -
9023 - 0x233f -
8001 -
8007 -
8008 - 0x11f48
8027 - 0x1f5b -

Oh, and the NAC is 641. I had it running last night with a great signal but nothing was decoding.... and I looked and the NAC was different than what was posted. Quick change and got decoding of the info

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Hey,
Got OP25 running perfectly on my old Macbook. Submitted TG's (figured out who some of them are) and more system information for the DB!

ak716

Premium Subscriber
OP25 new install directions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2iJMtPJu-I

I used these instructions, set the control channel to the one on the DB, NAC to the simulcast one posted, and left the TG tsv file blank, and works like a charm!

I just gotta sit down and listen to when there is a lot of traffic and ill figure out all the other TG's, there are a bunch more but not enough chatter/info where I could figure out what/who it was.
A friend of mine from down there said only the Western & Southern part of the county is live on the system due to funding issues (Dunkirk and Fredonia area aren't on it yet)

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Online ????

OP25 new install directions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2iJMtPJu-I

I used these instructions, set the control channel to the one on the DB, NAC to the simulcast one posted, and left the TG tsv file blank, and works like a charm!

I just gotta sit down and listen to when there is a lot of traffic and ill figure out all the other TG's, there are a bunch more but not enough chatter/info where I could figure out what/who it was.
A friend of mine from down there said only the Western & Southern part of the county is live on the system due to funding issues (Dunkirk and Fredonia area aren't on it yet)

This is the second day of listening to this system and have not picked up any talkgroups as of yet ??? Is this up and running
Steve

ak716

Premium Subscriber
It most certainly is. Loud and clear a ways outside of Chautauqua County

timbartell

Hello all,

Long time radio geek and RR user but first time poster. I live in the county and have been trying discovery mode on this p25 2 system for weeks without much luck. I do get TGIDs to pop up on the screen and have most all the same you have listed above. However, not once have I had a "hit" or heard one bit of voice on my bcd496hp. I have put the system in every mode possible with discovery just to be sure it was not standard p25. The analyze mode quickly finds the NAC, site ID, unique db ID, and WACN as well with no problems. Constant LNK and DAT lights during the trunking discovery but never anything but quick TGID numbers on the screen. It does seem to be picking up all the frequencies and band plan from the control channel fine as well. I do have the correct services enabled and location control off though I have tried with it on and set as well. I am pretty new to trying to solve these systems and am hoping one of you can help me out that perhaps I am missing something simple. I have been banging my head since shelling out the money for this scanner weeks ago.

Thanks!

Tim

Last edited:

w2rea

Now that the system information is in the DB when will it be available for simply entering your location into the scanner and uploading it automatically? The easy way out! Hi Tim!

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Now that the system information is in the DB when will it be available for simply entering your location into the scanner and uploading it automatically? The easy way out! Hi Tim!

I believe the DB updates once a week (Sundays if I remember correctly) for stuff like that.... I don't have a Homepatrol so I don't know first hand, just what I read before

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The database pull starts on Sunday, and is ready by Monday. Generally speaking, any changes made to the database after Sunday afternoon may not make it to that week's update.

w2rea

Thanks for the information guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Radio programming is not my favorite part of the hobby. Maybe after I get the hang of it, but it sure is a lot more complicated than it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.