• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap 10 Watt mobile radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

methusaleh

Yep.. the only way to go.

An interesting young man who fit most stereotypes of the word "whacker" had a line below his high school yearbook photo: "He who dies with the most radios wins!"

Good kid, just couldn't take the stress of going on fire or EMS calls.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
If only someone would made a small radio (I don't care for dual band) rig with Kirisun quality and a remote head...

bharvey2

Found a Kirisun dual-bander for even less than the eBay one listed in this thread. Tri-band, 25W. Amazon selling for $99
Amazon.com : Uhf/vhf Mobile Radio : Car Electronics

Specs: PT8200 - Products - Kirisun Communications Co.,Ltd

I checked out the Kirisun link above including the manual and software. The manual notes a VHF/UHF radio and mentions a number of band splits. However, the software only seems to allow the selection of one band split making me thing it is a single band radio. It seems like a decent price and I think one of the other posters had some positive experience to report. So, if one really can't have too many radios, this seems like a likely candidate :)

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Look on the model tag (rear of the radio). I bought a Kirisun PT8200 thinking it was a dual-band (VHF & UHF) radio, but it was a mono-band UHF model......and it quickly became surplus to my needs. Ask the seller to show you a picture of that tag.

kc5hwb

Premium Subscriber
The Leixen radio is a dual band, 144/440 with 10-watts output on each band.
My guess is that the Kirisun is a monoband - like so many Chinese vendors, they list it with all the frequencies you can purchase it in, but it doesn't mean it is multiple bands. Most of them will list radios this way.
Jetstream is also making a cheap dual band now that I expect is the same guts as the Leixen.

It isn't a bad radio for the price, I don't think. Miklor did a review on it and called it a "transition" radio, between an HT and a real mobile rig, but they gave it a good review - Leixen VV-898 VHF/UHF - Miklor

ChetsJug

Ahh crap, I really don't need to blow anymore money right now........ I might mention this is all the fault of these forums! ;-)

"Now that's funny right there; I don't care who ya are, that's funny" (Larry tCG)

I hear ya brother! I've gotten ideas out of RR that took the senses out of me. Mainly showing me things I wanted to do most of my life. Like putting up a good old CB base station. Yeah I know CB is dying, I've heard. That's why I want one for... the airwaves are clear again hahaha. B

Anyway, on topic: Wow I didnt see the FCC ID for VHF on this thing, I assumed it didn't have any. It might be a peice of crap to some people but I'm glad you found it because I have a 1968 Datsun Roadster and a "23 T-Bucket" Roadster. I need a really small radio for them. I also want to check out the other small radios mentioned here. Great Reviews! Thanks!

joeuser

The Wretched
"Now that's funny right there; I don't care who ya are, that's funny" (Larry tCG)

I hear ya brother! I've gotten ideas out of RR that took the senses out of me. Mainly showing me things I wanted to do most of my life. Like putting up a good old CB base station. Yeah I know CB is dying, I've heard. That's why I want one for... the airwaves are clear again hahaha. B

Anyway, on topic: Wow I didnt see the FCC ID for VHF on this thing, I assumed it didn't have any. It might be a peice of crap to some people but I'm glad you found it because I have a 1968 Datsun Roadster and a "23 T-Bucket" Roadster. I need a really small radio for them. I also want to check out the other small radios mentioned here. Great Reviews! Thanks!
People say that about CB and that's good, keeps the riff raff off. Radio is radio - its a fantastic hobby & diversion! This forum has been my bane. I came into some money & no joke - I spent a couple grand on radios... Little bit more to go - want to get my SW into shape. All possible because of this community. Hoping my kids get interested also but... "Dad, why wouldn't you just text?" or "Can't you just listen with an app?" ...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
After the looking at the specs of the Jetstream JT 270M it might be a good buy as a back up radio. Price is more than reasonable. ;)

n9zas

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I bought one of these radios a couple weeks back for use out in my garage.

For what it is, it's not a bad little radio. I don't think it will win any awards, but if all one is looking for is a radio to hit the local repeaters, or do some short range simplex, this radio will fit the bill.

Mine works decently out in my garage. The audio volume is pretty good for the tiny speaker it has, and I have no trouble hearing it. I've been told my TX is a little muffled, but not to the point of not being able to be understood.

My only gripe is that it randomly turns itself off. At first, I thought I had the auto power off function turned on, but I didn't. Sometimes it will shut off after just a couple of minutes, sometimes after 15 to 20 minutes, and if I get lucky, sometimes it won't shut off at all. Ah well, no huge deal; it's only shut off once while transmitting. All other times have been when receiving.

:)

NWI Scanner Guy - is the unit 'overheating'? The UX5R display goes blank when talking more than few minutes QSO on UHF, so I'm guessing it's a heat issue - hence the fan and not enough metal heat sinks?
I would rather spend $50-$75 on an old Kenwood TR 7600-TR-7930/50 mobile and get 15W+, easier to operate with switches instead of menus and built great.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
NWI Scanner Guy - is the unit 'overheating'? The UX5R display goes blank when talking more than few minutes QSO on UHF, so I'm guessing it's a heat issue - hence the fan and not enough metal heat sinks?
I would rather spend $50-$75 on an old Kenwood TR 7600-TR-7930/50 mobile and get 15W+, easier to operate with switches instead of menus and built great.

No, no overheating, especially when all it's doing is receiving. If it shut off while transmitting, other than just the one time it has, then I'd be led to believe it's a heat problem.

Hmmm. If it shut-off during transmitting it could be the antenna too close to the power supply and feeding back into the rig and shutting it off - but on receive - that's a really strange one to ask the factory about in Chinenglish.

K4NNW

I read the user manual for the Jetstream a few minutes ago, and didn't see any reference to the mic pinouts. I was thinking of using this as an APRS radio, and probably will if I can get audio out on the mic connector (yes, I know one can use the speaker jack, but that's no fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.