Cheap/basic scanner to minitor FDNY/PD/EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCRADIO

its a pro-84 scanner from radio shack its small and red um it does not do alpha tags i don't think

i also have a pro-82 mobile scanner black also for 60

Rookie404

I appreciate all the replies! I have read the sticky and I am aware about the law of having a unit in your vehicle.
I did a little more research and Uniden units seem to have solid feedback and reviews on them. I will go with either Uniden BC-346XT or Uniden BC246T price wise they are close. Although I am not sure which one will be easier to program and operate?

hockeyshrink

...Although I am not sure which one will be easier to program and operate?

I only have the BC246T and will offer that in my experience, it is unbelieveably easy to program with a computer - using either uniden or other scanner sw, and unbelieveably difficult to program with direct entry, especially if you are setting pl/dpl's and alpha tags.

Edit:
I use FreeSCAN (scannow.org) which also will download and install files directly from the RadioReference database.

Last edited:

Rookie404

I only have the BC246T and will offer that in my experience, it is unbelieveably easy to program with a computer - using either uniden or other scanner sw, and unbelieveably difficult to program with direct entry, especially if you are setting pl/dpl's and alpha tags.

Edit:
I use FreeSCAN (scannow.org) which also will download and install files directly from the RadioReference database.

Good stuff! Exactly the info I was seeking.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.