Cheap/basic scanner to minitor FDNY/PD/EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookie404

Cheap/basic scanner to monitor FDNY/PD/EMS

I've done some reading here but could not find what I am looking for. I am looking for basic information and reading pages and pages about Trunking/UnTrunking software, digital etc/ in the wiki does not help.

I am looking to buy a basic portable scanner I can use to monitor (listen only) to PD/EMS in the 5 Boroughs of NYC. (More specifically Staten Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan). I am not looking to become proficient in details about how scanners work and operate.

If you guys could recommend a basic cheap scanner for such use what would it be and where could I obtain one? Do such places program them for you? Would like to stay in $200 or under range.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Seriously, you could pick up a scanner from a yard sale and it would allow you to hear the majority of NYC comms for years to come. Anything that covers 29-512MHz should work fine. Some radio shacks will even program for you, but that can be hit or miss.

Rookie404

Seriously, you could pick up a scanner from a yard sale and it would allow you to hear the majority of NYC comms for years to come. Anything that covers 29-512MHz should work fine. Some radio shacks will even program for you, but that can be hit or miss.

I have never seen a 'yard sale" here in NY, RadioShack I been to the employee there had no clue about scanners or programing. He only said we sell what's on the wall that is it.

I am looking for specifics, where I can buy a programmed scanner or if I am able to buy a scanner and program it myself that will work in NY area for $200 or under.

Two people who had a scanner on them who I spoke about where and how they got one, all the conversations turned into from some guy who knows another guy who is a friend with this guy who found a guy on ebay.

Does anyone know any specifics? Place, price, unit and where it works.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Cheap/basic scanner to monitor FDNY/NYPD/EMS

Welcome to radioreference, ResQguy is right about aquiring an inexpensive portable scanner if you wish to limit your "Big Apple" monitoring to the basic non-trunked VHF high band & UHF frequencies. Our on-site New York City database is quite accurate, thorough & up to date. Also check www.n2nov.net for ancillary information concerning the particular agencies you wish to monitor. Radio Shack is pretty much useless for scanning enthusiest nowadays as they have transitioned their marketing & sales efforts to other more lucrative interest. We have our own on-site "for sale" platform that you may wish to examine that may be more cost effective for you. If you are concerned about the "caveat emptor" issue, check the buyer/seller transaction feedback threads to put your mind at ease, as everything is in-house & they are all members here. If you need more info, please get back to us & happy scanning.

FLRAILMAN

hvscan

For the greatest ease in purchasing a scanner, I would recommend clicking on one of the Scanner Master links off of this website. They program the scanners for a fee prior to shipping, if requested, and make the purchase very easy for the buyer. A GRE PSR-100 (handheld) or 200 (base) (99.95 each) would work great for what you are looking to do. They are basic scanners and are very easy to use. You could bump up to a trunking model for another $50 - PSR-300 / 400, if desired. Best of luck and let us know how you make out with this.

n2nov

I am looking to buy a basic portable scanner I can use to monitor (listen only) to PD/EMS in the 5 Boroughs of NYC. (More specifically Staten Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan). I am not looking to become proficient in details about how scanners work and operate.

The basic criteria to look for is the capacity to tune in 6.25 Khz steps as the new FDNY and EMS frequencies need to be tuned in this way. FDNY is moving from VHF to UHF (482-485 Mhz) and the EMS is moving from their older UHF freqs to the newer UHF freqs (482-485 Mhz). NYPD is currently staying on their channels (12.5 Khz step rate) unless the future forces them to change. There are some FDNY and EMS activities (non-dispatch) that are on the new DOITT UHF trunked system (482-485 Mhz) so a trunking capable scanner is needed to get all of the NYC public service activity.

scannersnstuff

bc346xt Scanner Master - Police Scanners by Uniden Bearcat, AOR and Radio Shack. honest/reliable folk's. great scanner.

also, it will include everything you need right out of the box to start scanning. even come's with nyc as a pre-programmed area.

in all fairness, you can also get a gre psr-300 for a little cheaper. that will also do the job,and come's with all the acc's.

Last edited by a moderator:

W2SJW

Database Admin
Or the Radio Shack Pro-164/GRE PSR-300. Great analog-only handhelds that will do 6.25/7.5k splits & let you set the channel to either FM or NFM.

Brendon

I use a Uniden BC246T to do exactly what you're looking to do. I listen to both NYPD and EMS and it has a lot of memory to hold all the channels after you delete all the pre-programmed ones you'll never listen to. It has trunking, which isn't really needed for any NYC freqs like that but it is extremely user friendly and I programmed all the frequencies in by hand and have them set up very neatly and all named. I love it and this is just outside by a couple of dollars of what you're looking for.

Uniden | A World Without Wires - BC246T

hockeyshrink

I use a Uniden BC246T to do exactly what you're looking to do. I listen to both NYPD and EMS and it has a lot of memory to hold all the channels after you delete all the pre-programmed ones you'll never listen to. It has trunking, which isn't really needed for any NYC freqs like that but it is extremely user friendly and I programmed all the frequencies in by hand and have them set up very neatly and all named. I love it and this is just outside by a couple of dollars of what you're looking for.

Uniden | A World Without Wires - BC246T

I'll second the Uniden BC246T with TrunkTracker. If you'll try a little bit to learn about programming the scanner with computer software, you can subscribe to this site and download the latest trunked systems and load them right into the scanner (my BC246T came with all the conventional NYC freqs but I added the trunked Westchester system.)

Word of warning: look carefully at the stickys in this forum about putting a scanner in your vehicle in NY.

W2SJW

Database Admin
No it won't. That scanner does not support PL/DPL, never mind the fact that it will not do the 6.25k spacing he needs to properly tune in the new FD & EMS channels...

auxscan

that scanner is similar to a pro-82. no need for it. cant do alpha or pl/dpl. In a City were theres more than 100 active public safety frequencies a non-alpha scanner would be frustating! especially one that cant take the new 6.25 spacing narrowbanding policy for public safety.

I have A pro-97 that works great and can do 6.25 step.
there usaully around $150 on ebay.

scannersnstuff

if you're going to spend $150.00 get something new. something borrowed,something blue. geez, i don't even drink.....

auxscan

i got 2 pro-97s scanners one i bought brand new off of ebay for $150 Shipped. Great scanner! 1000 channels, trunk, pre-programmed, all the channel steps, what else can I add lol.

Posted from my iphone

NYCRADIO

if you are still looking for a mobile scanner im selling one for 60 bucks and i will gladly program it for you

Status
Not open for further replies.