Cheap DMR HT no display few channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7AS

What radios are available that have a limited number of channels that can be used with a hotspot for just a few talkgroups and simplex. Don't have to have a display, maybe 16 channels with free programming software. Did I say CHEAP?

brndnstffrd

As much hate as the TYTs get, the TYT MD-430 is uhf, 1024? channels, 2 watts, can be charger from a micro USB port, and has a display. They tend to run about $35-50. Its about the size of large FRS/GMRS radio and is also Part 90 certified.

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
Well, there's the Moto's. XPR 6300, 7300, 3300, 3500, and SL300 are limited channel/display radios. Cheap is subjective, I've see the 6300 series radios used under $100 and I know a dealer who has some like new SL300s for well under $200 right now. I have an SL7550 that I use with my hotspot and local repeater, I love the form factor, and they can be found under $150 now. But then there's the CPS issue. Vertex made a small DMR portable but I think since Motorola bought them they've put the programming software onto MOL, so again, an issue getting it if you dont have a subscription.

Hytera makes a perfect little radio that would be great for a hotspot, the PD362i. I dont know about the price, I think about $150-200 and the software is free. There are several varients of the PD36x radios that can be had much cheaper, but regardless of what online sellers say, you cant make them compatable with the US ham band, the 362 is the only one. They have a couple of other no display DMR radios as well.

Honestly, if money and software availibility are an issue, get a MD380 or one of the other cheap single band DMR handhelds if all you plan on using it for is a hotspot. Heck, I have a Connect Systems CS580 I'm getting ready to get rid of, Ill probably list it for ~$50. Software is free as well from CS website.

Status
Not open for further replies.