• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap DMR Radios Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

Now, can I use the radio to listen to businesses that are DMR that use an individual frequency?

Individual frequency... as in not going through a repeater??? If so then yes but you'll have to know the color code. That can be a bit of a guessing game as there is no CSQ in DMR. But if it IS going through a repeater, you'll also need the group ID. And encryption... is super easy with DMR, obviously that would prevent listening.

1 Question

Why is everybody talking about Ham Capable? The OP did NOT say anything about ham use, it simply asked for a cheaper model. Perhaps he wants one to use on the system at his place of employment?

SCPD

QRT
Why is everybody talking about Ham Capable? The OP did NOT say anything about ham use, it simply asked for a cheaper model. Perhaps he wants one to use on the system at his place of employment?

Well I'm looking to use it for listening to businesses I'm my area that are DMR

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Individual frequency... as in not going through a repeater??? If so then yes but you'll have to know the color code. That can be a bit of a guessing game as there is no CSQ in DMR. But if it IS going through a repeater, you'll also need the group ID. And encryption... is super easy with DMR, obviously that would prevent listening.

It's not really a guessing game. Use DMR Decode to gather the necessary info.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Also FYI, unless I'm missing something, DMRDecode won't work on non-repeated (direct) DMR. Only repeaters.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes. Just like you can only talk to people on a Motorola for whom you have an entitlement key.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
You will need to use other tools to obtain the programming information, but yes, a CS700 can be used to monitor unencrypted DMR/Trbo. Keep in mind if you don't have a ham license, the radio is more expensive.

SCPD

QRT
That Hytera is probably going for $350, but more importantly, doesn't cover the ham band. Maybe it can go out of band, but the CS700 is a very good radio.

It lacks a few features of the Motorola, but for the money it is a steal. In addition, new firmware is coming which may add some great features that even the other radios don't have (FPP) for one.

Hyteras will cover the ham bands, if you buyt the right model. Trust me. I use mine on ham as well as multiple analog and DMR public safety agencies i do work for, and on a DMR network we own.

SCPD

QRT
Look at the new Hytera PD362. I have been carrying an X1p as my daily radio, since they first released. I bought the PD362 for its size. Only features its missing is pseudotrunk and roaming. But for the price its great.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
DMR Capable radios

I've been trying to gather some info from this page about listening to dmr.

My campus PD uses Mototrbo radios (XPR 6550/7550) and they are un-encrypted. They are on a VHF conventional frequency and use a repeater.

QUESTION: Would I be able to buy a radio (Motorola, Vertex, or Connect Systems) and program the frequency to listen?

NOTE: I am aware that I will have to find out the color code and time slot. Is that all?

Thanks for any responses.

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
As long as they are not encrypted, yes. However, you will also need to figure out the group ID that they are using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
DMR Capable radios

I do not believe they call radios individually, so would setting the group code to "All Call" work? All the officers can hear radio chatter no matter who is talking (kind of like analog), so I don't believe they use a private call, dispatch call, or PC call.

I don't know how knowledgeable their programmer was (knowing them, the chief did it herself), but I could just play around with the settings until I get the right combo, right?

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
All Call is for transmitting. If you transmit on All Call, everyone will here you regardless of whatever group call they are monitoring. There is no All Call for receive.

You can keep guessing at the group call ID, or you can try a decoding program like DSD+.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring DMR

I've watched several videos on XPR 6550s, would I be able to find out the group code by looking at the screen while a radio is transmitting? One radio I saw in a video said "all call", and the other has the name of the group code.

Status
Not open for further replies.