• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap DMR Radios Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Unlikely. It would be rare for the system programmer not to assign meaningful names to the talk group numbers.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
DMR Monitoring

Ok, so I'm convinced to get an SDR dongle.

I found a guy on YouTube whose videos explain it all.

Considering I use the dongle, SDR# software, "VB-cable" software, and DSD software, what information will I be able to gather? Group code, time slot, color code?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
To properly monitor TRBO/DMR (with a radio) you need: frequency, time slot, color code and group code. The only way to obtain a group code from looking at the radio would be to go into the menu, go to contacts, and find the entry for the talkgroup. Otherwise you will need DSD+ or DMRDecode, either one will give you all the required info and let you know if privacy is being used.

gil_ford

AnyTone AT-D858 in the works

Hi All,
Ed at wouxun.us is currently testing the new (?) AnyTone AT-D858 DMR portable. At this time things look promising and he will have it for sale around the end of April for $199.95. I have attached a screenshot of the specs. Apologies if a bit blurry.

G

Attachments

• AT-D858.JPG
    AT-D858.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 755

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I assume that's a single band radio, available in any of those four frequency ranges?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Looks like another CoValue/CS-700 type radio (which is a total copycat of the XPR-6500's menus etc).

Anytone AT-D858 DMR Radio

Good for the hobby though, I have nothing against a low priced hobby radio vs a $700 commercial radio. As always you'll get what you pay for, but what you are paying for might be just what you need!

n2nov

Looks like another CoValue/CS-700 type radio (which is a total copycat of the XPR-6500's menus etc).

Anytone AT-D858 DMR Radio

Good for the hobby though, I have nothing against a low priced hobby radio vs a $700 commercial radio. As always you'll get what you pay for, but what you are paying for might be just what you need!

Is it keyboard programmable or do you always have to use a computer?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Cheap DMR

Software and cables are a big issue for the non-brand names. Some can be programmed from the keyboard (FPP), but the complexity of a DMR code plug with talkgroups and other settings makes it a challenge. Others only have partial ability to changes certain parameters or already programmed frequencies.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Software and cables are a big issue for the non-brand names. Some can be programmed from the keyboard (FPP), but the complexity of a DMR code plug with talkgroups and other settings makes it a challenge. Others only have partial ability to changes certain parameters or already programmed frequencies.

Let me make note I own the Tytera MD-380 in UHF. Has front panel Programming in both analog/digital. Has 128 bit ENCRYPTION. For 168.00 is well worth it. Owned it for 2 months so far and had no problems.

Also.. You WILL not find tier 3 ( trunking capable) DMR radios under 300 dollars per radio ( new) right now. Future yes, but not at the moment.

All cheaper ones will be tier 1 and 2.

THE Tytera is capable of talking with MotoTRBO and other Tier 1 and 2 radios.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Let me make note I own the Tytera MD-380 in UHF. Has front panel Programming in both analog/digital. Has 128 bit ENCRYPTION. For 168.00 is well worth it. Owned it for 2 months so far and had no problems.

Also.. You WILL not find tier 3 ( trunking capable) DMR radios under 300 dollars per radio ( new) right now. Future yes, but not at the moment.

All cheaper ones will be tier 1 and 2.

THE Tytera is capable of talking with MotoTRBO and other Tier 1 and 2 radios.

Now as for mobiles - I had my heart set on the Kydera CDM-550 which seems GREAT for $300, but then my issue came that my wife's CR-V has limited space to mount such a radio, and my Wrangler means I would be mounting it so low I would have a hard time utilizing the screen and buttons. And sadly, no remote head kit for it.

The CS800 is the only "cheap" mobile I know of - and I cannot seem to find enough good press on it to make it worth the purchase... unless they've fixed the issues... but still not as feature-full as the Tytera. I wish someone would make a mobile version of the MD-380 and I'd literally buy 3 that day.

Anyone have any suggestions that aren't Motorola or Hytera for a good mobile that can have a remote head?

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Now as for mobiles - I had my heart set on the Kydera CDM-550 which seems GREAT for $300, but then my issue came that my wife's CR-V has limited space to mount such a radio, and my Wrangler means I would be mounting it so low I would have a hard time utilizing the screen and buttons. And sadly, no remote head kit for it.

The CS800 is the only "cheap" mobile I know of - and I cannot seem to find enough good press on it to make it worth the purchase... unless they've fixed the issues... but still not as feature-full as the Tytera. I wish someone would make a mobile version of the MD-380 and I'd literally buy 3 that day.

Anyone have any suggestions that aren't Motorola or Hytera for a good mobile that can have a remote head?

Don't know any in DMR. As for regular analog Blackbox radios are very good for the price. Wish they got into the DMR scene though.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
I wish Tytera would come out with a mobile based on their handheld. With the market they gained so far I think they'd have a ton of sales. Kydera makes the next best in my mind but like I said a lack of a control head kit makes it less useful to me. I might cave and get one for the Jeep but my wife hates the idea of me bolting one up to the center console in the passenger side which is the only place to really put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Tytera is becoming big for a cheap DMR. I think it really blew people's minds away that DMR radios offer so much at such a cheap price. Even more so the decent support and firmware updates so far from a chinese company and to boot all the freebies offered from them at the price. Granted it's not perfect, but it's perfect enough for the price and then some.

Give it time they may offer a mobile solution too, however don't hold your breath on it though. Could be quite sometime before they do. If your in need of a affordable DMR. Go with the Kydera line of radios. I never had experience with them, but from what I've heard from others and reviews people rave about their quality too.

Status
Not open for further replies.