• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap DMR Radios Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Brand new Moto XPR4550's are now selling for $350, which isn't a lot more than a CS800.

Didn't know they did a remote head until now - I'm very tempted to use them since they're FCC certified as well so as long as I have an entitlement I can use wide and and get it on GMRS as well. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RayAir

Don't know any in DMR. As for regular analog Blackbox radios are very good for the price. Wish they got into the DMR scene though.

Looks like Blackbox is going to jump on the DMR band wagon. Klein Electronics had a brochure or some sales literature on it. I just read it yesterday.

Some other Chinese company TEC SUN or TEN TEC (can't remember) is coming out with a more professional grade DMR HT, kind of looks like an XPR 6550, sales lit said $289, but the only places I found it for sale were selling it for $650. It uses the same programming cable as an XPR 6550 too. Not sure about the CPS. or how to get it.

For $650 I'd rather buy a Hytera PD782 personally.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Blackbox is going to jump on the DMR band wagon. Klein Electronics had a brochure or some sales literature on it. I just read it yesterday.

Some other Chinese company TEC SUN or TEN TEC (can't remember) is coming out with a more professional grade DMR HT, kind of looks like an XPR 6550, sales lit said $289, but the only places I found it for sale were selling it for $650. It uses the same programming cable as an XPR 6550 too. Not sure about the CPS. or how to get it.

For $650 I'd rather buy a Hytera PD782 personally.

I saw a flyer for Klein but that was it - have a link to their other info?

And you're talking about the Tecnet TPD-1424 which is their UHF offering. You got the price right but it was supposed to be released this week and I haven't heard a thing - last mentioning was them still working out firmware bugs. I think they're a relabeled Chinese radio with their touches on it - I really REALLY want them to out-perform the Tytera so I have a reason to buy them but can't buy what's not out yet.

RayAir

Brand new Moto XPR4550's are now selling for $350, which isn't a lot more than a CS800.

Yeah but add another $260 for the CPS and $70 for the pgm cable.

I think im going to eat the cost of the CPS though because I want to be able to make programming changes to my SL 7550. SL7550 cable is cheaper too, about $19.

Saw some clown on eBay selling the CPS for $32 (Europe ver) and he offered to send me the US region CPS, but I had to turn it down. I want to be legit. I signed up with Motorola Solutions and will buy the CPS from them since i'll be adding an XPR7550 in the next couple months.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Yeah but add another $260 for the CPS and $70 for the pgm cable.

I think im going to eat the cost of the CPS though because I want to be able to make programming changes to my SL 7550. SL7550 cable is cheaper too, about $19.

Saw some clown on eBay selling the CPS for $32 (Europe ver) and he offered to send me the US region CPS, but I had to turn it down. I want to be legit. I signed up with Motorola Solutions and will buy the CPS from them since i'll be adding an XPR7550 in the next couple months.

My issue as well but if I buy the CPS then I won't feel so bad eventually getting some 7550s or 6550s as well. I love the FPP on the Tytera but have rarely found a use for it. My laptop is portable enough to make code plug changes on the go and once I have my codeplug solid I usually don't play with it. I have every DMR and analog ham repeater and GMRS repeater for every state I travel programmed into my Tytera with room to spare still.

JPSan

Supposed TecNet's DMR pricing.

According to this listing from Copper Communications Solution, Yakima WA.s the TecNet TPD-1420G (UHF with GPS) is selling for $679.25 and without GPS $631.75. And the VHF version sells for the TPD-1124 for $631.75.

Programming software is also sold by Copper for $33.25 (http://store.coppercs.com/tecnet-ac...for-tpd-1000-series-dmranalog-portable-radios)

They say there coming soon.

Was told by a supposed TecNet rep a few months ago that there portables were going to offer discounted pricing to amateurs via direct order from them Wondering if that will become reality.

NO word if they will offer any DMR mobiles anytime soon.

http://store.coppercs.com/two-way/portable-radios/uhf-portable-radios

If you click on the image on there site, you'll see a large image of the radio. Like the display and the font. Price is a little steep, BUT if it works well then it's cool beans. Not seeing any mention of encryption.

Features:

• 5/1 Watt (VHF) – 4/1 Watt (UHF) Power Output
  • VHF (136-174 MHz) – UHF (400-470 MHz), (450-520 MHz)
  • 1024 Channel Capacity
  • 12.5/20/25 kHz Channel Spacing
  • Dual Modes (Analog+Digital)
  • Versatile Voice Calls
  • Remote Kill, Stun and Revive
  • Bluetooth (optional)
  • Vibrate
  • GPS (optional)
  • IP Service
  • Various Analog Signaling Types
  • CTCSS/DCS
  • ANI, 2-Tone Encode/Decode/5-Tone Selcall
  • MDC-1200, Stun/Kill OTA
  • Compliant with MIL-STD 810F and IP-67 Standards

Last edited:

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Thats really cool that Blackbox (Klein Electronics) is getting on the DMR bandwagon. All of their programming software so far is free which is nice, so hopefully they will extend that to DMR radios as well. Also just like others have mentioned buying other name brand radios is great! However, having to pay for CPS/Programming software and expensive programming cable is a turn off for the single consumer buyer market. Not to mention the idea of having to pay on top for possible firmware updates for some brands as well.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Also if someone would care to post the Klein Electronics DMR literature and sales or PM it to me instead of posting would be greatly appreciated by me. I own 3 of the blackbox Bantham series VHF and UHF radios and I absolutely love them for the price. Good quality at a reasonable price from a decent American company.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Klein Electronics DMR Radio product brochure

Klein Electronics DMR radio product brochure directly from their office today.
Heard it might be in the $300+ range.

Attachments

• Klein-Electronics-DMR-Radio.jpg
    Klein-Electronics-DMR-Radio.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 529

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Klein Electronics DMR radio product brochure directly from their office today.
Heard it might be in the $300+ range.

Man oh man... that looks sweet. I've debated so much getting on the Mother Moto wagon and picking up something in UHF Mobile for my truck since the few assortment of Trbo repeaters here in Florida are in UHF(Except for the one 900mHz repeater a mile from me). The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger was price for both CPS and the units themselves...That and the problems I've discovered Florida has with MotoTrbo and DMR-MARC politics(Of which I am just now getting my head wrapped around).

This portable looks great though and looks like it is built solidly from the pictures. Any projected timetable on release and full feature/compatibility listing?

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Does the Tytera MD-380 do NXDN also?

NXDN is not DMR. It is a proprietary means from Kenwoods to have a digital format radio. Kenwoods calls it NEXEDGE where's ICom calls it NXDN. This format is not compatible unfortunately due to channel spacing. That channel spacing is 6.25 whereas DMR is larger at 12.5.

Even the audio is more compressed sounding on NXDN. Just like Phase 2 is in P25.

Voyager

Actually, the 'generic' is NXDN.
Kenwood's name for it is NexEdge, and Icom's name for it is IDAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.