• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap DMR Radios Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Just got off the phone with one of the sales reps at Klein...

Apparently they are having issues getting the radio through customs and have changed the name on the pamphlet from 'Blackbox Epiq' to 'Blackbox Zone' but according to the rep it could change 100 times before getting to the U.S.

Expected general date of import around 1+months at least

Also, no support for 8/900(Not expected, on top of only a handful of 8/900 DMR repeaters being erected) and expected range will stay within 70cm UHF. In addition, no VHF or upper UHF 460-512.

He wouldn't begin to speculate on any other pricing or specifications sheets. I probed ever which way to eek out anything but he honestly had no clue since he had no physical units on hand...which is totally understandable when dealing with overseas imports.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Just got off the phone with one of the sales reps at Klein...

Apparently they are having issues getting the radio through customs and have changed the name on the pamphlet from 'Blackbox Epiq' to 'Blackbox Zone' but according to the rep it could change 100 times before getting to the U.S.

Expected general date of import around 1+months at least

Also, no support for 8/900(Not expected, on top of only a handful of 8/900 DMR repeaters being erected) and expected range will stay within 70cm UHF. In addition, no VHF or upper UHF 460-512.

He wouldn't begin to speculate on any other pricing or specifications sheets. I probed ever which way to eek out anything but he honestly had no clue since he had no physical units on hand...which is totally understandable when dealing with overseas imports.

This is really cool. Thanks for doing that recon for information on the radio. Blackbox was always stuck on the basics and didn't really venture towards ideas big vendors have. What I've always liked about their radios is (1) their really durable (2) one programming cable fits all radios K1 connector;except the blackbox plus series; M1 (3) programming software so far has been free (4) it's a decent American company that's just trying to build and really does cater it's majority of sales to the US.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
This is really cool. Thanks for doing that recon for information on the radio. Blackbox was always stuck on the basics and didn't really venture towards ideas big vendors have. What I've always liked about their radios is (1) their really durable (2) one programming cable fits all radios K1 connector;except the blackbox plus series; M1 (3) programming software so far has been free (4) it's a decent American company that's just trying to build and really does cater it's majority of sales to the US.

Absolutely! I don't mind at all. Since that picture was posted, Klein peaked my interest immediately. If their advertised Military-grade specs are true and the ruggedness holds up, those radios look like a steal!

As I stated previously, if I can get marginally close to the reliability and build construction of say a XPR6550 form factor with TRBO & Hytera functionality AND not be slapped silly with the CPS subscription fee and programming cable charges, I'd be a happy camper. They seem like a great company and when I left him a message, I got a call-back within 3 minutes and he spent a good 15-20 answering my questions on it.

The models look promising. Hope they get through customs quicker than they are going right now. I'd love to pick one up and hop on the local TRBO repeaters here in Florida

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Ah, so you want to use Kurt's, & Steve's machines.

Are they the operators of the Nerd Repeater Group that has the 900 up here in Ft Pierce about a mile from where I live? There's one in Palm City/Stuart as well as W4CLL's repeater right next to him across the water. I was unsure thinking I may not be able to hit off of their repeaters from south Port Saint Lucie which I think is about 12-15 air miles once I looked at their published DMR-MARC RSSI mapping.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
That's them. I've known them for years, & I do have a XPR7580 800/900 Trbo radio to talk on their machine.

Awesome, I'll have to get in touch with them.

I've been around 2-way for years since Cub Scouts and my Uncle-in-Law AD3N, but just got around to getting my Tech in May and working on my General now so I'm still green on the airwaves. If I go with this Blackbox at 5 watts UHF, would I be able to hit the Palm City repeaters at around 13.75 air miles with our flat terrain we have? Or would I be better suited focusing on grabbing a 7580/900mHz and hitting the Ft. Pierce 900 repeater? I only ask because if I'm going to be shelling out for DMR/TRBO, I'd love to get more bang for the buck and get something in the 70cm range so I can do analog when not in range of a TRBO repeater.

N4KVE

Like someone said before, there are very few 900 Trbo repeaters in the whole USA. Your $ would go further by getting a UHF DMR radio which could be used all over the country.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Like someone said before, there are very few 900 Trbo repeaters in the whole USA. Your $ would go further by getting a UHF DMR radio which could be used all over the country.

That's what I was thinking originally. Until 900 becomes as prevalent as 70cm, there isn't much point to dedicate yourself to one band for one repeater in the whole southern region. UHF it is. I'll just have to find ways to insure I get out far enough to hit Palm City

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
There are UHF repeaters all over the place. Not so many in VHF. I went originally with the Tytera MD-380 and I got to say I absolutely love it for the money. Granted it's chinese, but YTD their firmware updates are amazing, the Front Panel Programming is a big hit. I don't use the 128 bit encryption it offers but I've tried it in simplex and works wonders. I know blackbox is a good made radio and if the software is free as well as firmware updates too it's a good bargain, but still in my mind you cannot go wrong with the Tytera

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Has the blackbox DMR radios anyone hit the market yet?

Haven't seen anything yet but here's their FCC ID listing on that radio. Confirmation on name change that I talked with them about but interesting that their power is 4.5 watts with 400-470.

I just picked up my 380 which is 5W with 400-480.

Here's the FCC listing: https://fccid.io/U7GKEYPZONE

SCPD

QRT
Status
Not open for further replies.