• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap DPMR Sets from Sainsonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan520

Sadly, DPMR is a crap shoot because its a lotteri if i can communicate with other DPMR radios.But it does support analog, so at least its good for FM.

KD8DVR

Sadly, DPMR is a crap shoot because its a lotteri if i can communicate with other DPMR radios.But it does support analog, so at least its good for FM.
You'd need to make sure each brand is on the same standard. They'd make nice Echolink simplex micronodes.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
So whats the difference in DMR and DPMR?

(Besides the "P" in there) ;-)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
So whats the difference in DMR and DPMR?

(Besides the "P" in there) ;-)
The major difference between DMR and dPMR is the choice of multiple access scheme. DMR uses 2-slot TDMA to achieve two communication paths per 12.5kHz channel, whereas dPMR uses FDMA to divide the 12.5kHz channel in to two 6.25kHz sub-channels.

Essentially, dPMR is Tier I , whereas DMR is Tier II (or Tier III).

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
That's a confusing way of describing it, because dPMR has its own tier 2 and 3.

More correctly, the terminology specified is Mode 1, Mode 2, and Mode 3. Also, those three "Modes" are not license free as dPMR446 is.

The main difference between dPMR and DMR however remains the digital encoding/decoding methods used.

DMR is - except for Tier I - TDMA. Tier I is FDMA

dPMR446, and dPMR Mode 1, Mode 2 and Mode 3 are all FDMA

The major takeaway however is that dPMR (any flavor) and DMR are not compatible with one another!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_private_mobile_radio
versus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_mobile_radio

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Isn't that essentially what NXDN is?

Tidalwave

Trying to program one of these radios and having a bit of a problem. I didn't buy the programming cable but attempted to use a baofeng one. I get a device not recognized. Anyone have an Idea how to get around this or should I just order the proper cable?

Tidalwave

It says "unrecognized device" so doesn't even start a COM port. Works fine when plugged into the proper radio but not with this one. I'm guessing some behind the scenes voodoo/black magic at work. I went ahead and ordered the correct cable. Now I'm going to have to wait till next to to "play" with these guys.

JeffVDM

Trying to program one of these radios and having a bit of a problem. I didn't buy the programming cable but attempted to use a baofeng one. I get a device not recognized. Anyone have an Idea how to get around this or should I just order the proper cable?

Hello, What do you think about the radio? Good sound quality? Overall performance? Do you know what range you get? And on which frequencies do you use the radio?
Thanks in advance!

troffasky

So can I say dPMR is like single sideband, where it splits the frequency?

dPMR uses 6.25kHz per channel.
DMR uses 12.5kHz per channel, but only for 50% of the time.

Two usable channels will cost you 12.5KHz of spectrum in either case, but the physics determines that with a contiguous 12.5KHz, it's cheaper to use DMR to get your two channels. If you already have 12.5KHz of spectrum available, chances are it's contiguous, so that's why DMR is doing better.

I think the physics may also determine that a 6.25KHz radio is more efficient than a 12.5KHz one but I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.