Cheap,effective mobile UHF 1/4 wave Milair antenna....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecfsar18

I recently had a spare Wilson 2000 CB antenna and made use of it by taking just the bottom 10 inch shaft with 3/8 threads and using a 3/8 magmount works good for mobile or portable use for uhf milair-is more broadbanded than a standard say 102 whip cut down because the diameter is at least twice as thick i'd say..... If have one of these give it a whirl or use as a spare etc........ Note can order the lower shaft itself I believe still from Wilson antenna... Also note I believe there is an 18 inch shaft one also which would prob work great as a vhf marine or like a railband antenna,WX or MURS!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What did you do about the coil at the base of the antenna? Did you short it somehow- othewise you're compromising your performance greatly...Mike

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
3/8" aluminum rod and a 3/8 x 24 threader can make you any 1/4 wave antenna you'd ever need....

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
How cheap are we talking? A Lair NMO UHF antenna is $6...3/8-24 threaded stuff generally isn't something you can find at your everyday hardware store.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
How cheap are we talking? A Lair NMO UHF antenna is $6...3/8-24 threaded stuff generally isn't something you can find at your everyday hardware store.
Lowes or an Ace hardware would have that piece :wink: 73, n9zas

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
I buy 12' chunks of 3/8" unthreaded rod, thread it and cut it to the length i want..... Two cb mirror mounts together make a great dipole mount for anything down to 24 mhz...

prcguy

If you have a 3/8" mag mount and you can remove the female stud so there is only a 3/8 bolt sticking through the insulator washer, you can make a wide band fat 1/4 wave monopole.

Get about 8" of 1 1/2" dia copper pipe and two matching size copper pipe caps. Drill a 3/8" hole in one pipe cap then slide over the exposed bolt onto the insulating washer with open side out and secure with a 3/8 nut or the original double female adapter. Then stick the 8" pipe into the mounted flange and top off with the other pipe cap.

This will give you a real fat and wide band monopole that will cover the 225-400MHz band better than any whip.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.